Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Taxidermy Prices by State

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by NebMo Hunter, Jul 12, 2023.

1. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Article on the home page - https://www.bowhunting.com/article/taxidermy-fees-by-state/

Little shocking, I got my 2021 buck shoulder mounted by a taxidermist in Nebraska and paid in the 400's
    Also got it back before new year that same year. This was a 1 man shop that tan's his own hides

Its really too bad because the conversations/memories when looking at mounts are great! Euro mounts are good but to me, its not the same.

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Taxidermy prices are absolutely out of control around here. You're looking at $800 to $1,000 (or more) for a good whitetail shoulder mount these days. I used to get them for $350.

Unless a deer is really big or unique in some way, I'm euro mounting from here on out. They're all going to get tossed in a landfill after I'm dead anyways.

INbowhunter likes this.
  3. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thank God I'm not the only one who feels this way. I'd love to get a shoulder mount, but it'd have to be special.

4. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep they’re crazy anymore, I’m on the skull mount only band wagon from here on out. My first mount was 400$, now its pushing 900$. Once I get my IA buck that’s prob it for me.

Shocker99 likes this.
  5. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve considered going to taxidermy school and doing it as a hobby/side, but I’m a hobby whore and I rather drink beers and go fishing. Maybe when I retire from the normal grind.

Justin likes this.
  6. Chase

Chase Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. I've done my own euro's the last 2 years. My 2018 buck cost me $865 and my 2019 buck cost me $950. I did pedestal mounts, however so there's some added cost. I hunt several public spots close to home in the early season but I do have a couple private permissions that open up to hunting in November, and the agreed upon rule is that if you shoot a buck, it has to go on your wall. It's a rule we have to respect so it's costly but it's cheaper than most lease fees and it's proven to grow a nice herd. I won't complain about the opportunity to hunt decent bucks in SE Missouri, but I do try and find a respectable buck on public between Sept & Nov.

Interestingly enough, last season we had a great year in regard to number of bucks but a strange phenomenon of broken tines, points and beams. So, depending on how many of those our neighbors took out in rifle season, there's a chance I come back to this later complaining about a taxidermy fee. Fingers crossed.

Suncrest08 and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I did 4 or 5 mounts back in the day. Back then it was around $200 in materials, plus alot of your own hours. I could do a mount that was good enough for me, but not the same as a pro. I'm sure with price of everything, it's even more in material. It is one of those things that is a labor of love. After trying it, my time is worth doing other things and just paying for it.

I'm at the point I probably wouldn't mount another deer unless it's in my top 5. Just stick with euro.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

8. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    Yep I priced out materials and it’s pricey. That’s cool you did a handful of them, it always peaked my interest.

9. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you are artistic at all, anyone can do it. There is so much info out there now. I mounted a doe first, because I didn't want to mess up a buck mount. Then my first buck mount I messed up and the hair slipped on its ear. Go figure! I ended up getting a new cape several years later and getting it redone. I enjoyed it alot, but as kids came along, I just didn't have time.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Shocker99 likes this.
  10. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    That’s my problem is the time!

11. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The old guy i use still only charges $550. He said he hardly makes any money. All other options around me are $700 +. Its around an 18 mo wait because he only does it part time along with being in a classic country band but its worth the wait to me. Its a nice surprise to forget about it and then see his phone call a year and a half later. I also have done some Euros myself with mixed results. The best results i got were from a guy with beetles. Turned out wonderful for $125.

12. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I doubt I'll ever mount a another which is OK as I don't shoot big ones anyway.
    :sad:

13. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just shoot everything like you did that coyote in your profile picture and you'll never have to worry about it

Shocker99 and Justin like this.