Taxidermy Guys.....

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by treyman654, Aug 16, 2015.

1. treyman654

treyman654 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    how long can a set of velvet antlers sit in a deep freezer before having to do anything with them?

I have a buck I shot last November caped and sitting in my deep freezer he still has velvet on his horns. do you think its safe to take to a taxi? or are they probably ruined because I waited so long?

Thanks in advanced

2. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Should be good, even if the velvet is ruined on them they can use "fake velvet" to put on the antlers. I'm by no means a taxidermist or really have much insight on the matter but that is my opinion. Make a few calls to some local taxis

3. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They scrape off the velvet and put the fake stuff on. It looks pretty good if done right.

4. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All depends on the taxi, some use fake, others inject, and many freeze dry depending on the condition of the velvet when it arrives in the shop. (Read-how late in the growing / velvet season was the harvest). Take em to a taxi you trust and they'll be just fine.

5. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There is a liquid treatment they can either inject (if still soft) or paint on and wash off. I have treated 2 velvet racks myself with this stuff and they came out good. My taxidermist used this on my velvet deer last year.. looks great... it's the real velvet.
    They can peel it and use a fake velvet, but my understanding is that it is very expensive.

Mount 2014 CT Velvet.jpg