Tats

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Wesley Lofton, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not really anything to do with bow hunting per say, but still if you like tattoos and hunting, maybe this will be appreciated. New work I had done today

Im going to start adding a deer track every time I get a bow kill ive decided. Im going to get the other half of the arrow done in a couple weeks, didnt have time to get it done today.

Attached Files:

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Love tattoo's!!! Nice! I have a few to commemorate things I have accomplished or been apart of but bowhunting isn't one of them yet. Thinking this spring I will get one just not sure what yet. Thinking I will get Justin's face tattoo'd on my ***!

3. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Hey that looks really good! post when they do the other half! Heres mine but it was is the peeling stage when photo was taken! I have had it touched up since then and it looks better now! Im gonna add a couple small Buck tracks and a couple small Turkey tracks above the pendant. I drew this one up myself!
    [​IMG]

4. Black-ice

Black-ice Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No pics but all my tats are wildlife,right breast black bear, right arm band of wolves,left sholder eagle ,right back 10 point

5. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am just a couple sleeves lol none of my hunting life as of yet but I do like the track for each deer idea.
    Honestly the arrow on the forearm would not be in my taste but good thing you didnt do a rage cause your arm would have to look like it was falling off lmao
    Here are a couple pics were you can kinda see some of my work
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife and I will not allow any of our employees to have visible tatoos. Have any of you ever had to deal with that issue? I know that is a common employment requirement for companies that deal with the public. Tats seem to still carry a negative stigma in many ways. A lot of older folks especially remember that tats were usually a badge earned in prison.

I had to laugh when I thought about what I would look like if I got a deer track tatoo everytime I killed a deer with my bow. That would be one freakish sight. lol You may give up on that idea after the first 20 or so.

I mean no offense and respect everyones own taste and iterest when it comes to tats. To each his own and some I do enjoy seeing. Just not something I personally would want to live with for the rest of my life. My interests and tastes seem to change over time. I have seen some really nice work, but I have seen a lot of tats that would make me want to choke the "artist". Guess I just would not want to take that chance.

7. michael_pearce

Dislikes Received:
    Tattoos and earrings were also worn by sailors to show that they sailed the 7 seas. And in some Coulters they are seen as a status symbol . If you don't hire someone because they have tattoos with or giving then the option to cover them you maybe passing on someone that may help your business grow even more

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk

8. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    We do have employees with tats. Several in fact. They are great people and it does not preclude them from employment, but the tats have to remain covered. We dont see too many sailors around here, and unfortunately, tats in our society tend to do the opposite as far as status goes.

We have a pretty stict policy on piercings also. One in each ear is the limit.

9. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have always thought about getting a tattoo, but I just have a feeling I would regret it later in life. Seems like most 21 year olds get a tattoo, then regret it and always keep it covered up later in life.

10. michael_pearce

Dislikes Received:
    Im not sure what business your in fletch.
    BUt I was a superintendent for a custom home builder for awhile.
    We built homes in Scottsdale Arizona,
    average cost of one of the homes we built was over 15 million.
    And for people who's name are well known that I will not mention. However I was never judged by any of them according to my tattoos. tattoos are almost as relevant as clothes. If they are great pieces and tasteful they are easily accepted. BUT if they are nasty ones they look like old ripped up jeans and shoes with no shirt.
    I feel as an employer you have the right to have your employees fit a certain profile of appearance and character which best suits your business needs. But please do not let your first instinct to be to shun away a person that has tattoos just because they do.
    Several of my pieces are memorials to family members that have passed away. And I am not a sailor either lmao
    Also a person with tattos should have enough respect to keep them to them self as to not offend others that maybe offended. I have them for me not for everyone else that is why mine are usually covered up anyway.

11. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Aint you got some funky Tea you need to go drink? LOL
    :moose:

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch - the points you bring up are somewhat valid, but becoming less and less so as time goes on. Tattoos are becoming more accepted in mainstream society these days, and don't carry the same stigma they once did. As time continues to pass, I believe that the restrictions imposed on employees by their employers will continue to fade as well.

With that said, I've got two now and scheduled to begin my third this Friday. I have a small deer skull in the middle of my shoulders, and an arrow on the back of my right arm. Starting work on a leafless tree design on my left arm this week. Should take 2-3 sittings to complete, starting with a 4-5 hour outlining session. I'll post progress pics in the Water Cooler after it gets started.

13. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Ya, I do. lol

Again, no offense guys. Tats arent for everyone and I certainly dont judge others for having them as long as they are tasteful. I am a little put off by folks that have them all over their neck, face, etc., or have very graphic or vulgar content. I guess I do juge those folks and consider it to be poor taste. I certainly would not hire someone that looked like that. Seems they are just wanting attention. I just have not seen one that I cant live without. Yet....

14. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree with this. Good luck with your new tat.

15. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have 3 tattoos. They are all hidden by my shirt. I have my initials in between my shoulders and a cross on my right rib cage. That one hurt real bad and was also my first tat. I dont regret them but will never get one that is visible just because I dont want people to judge me. I never want one to affect me getting a job and if I owned my own company I would expect all tattoos to be covered up. I'm saying this and yet I still have some. The reason is that I wouldnt want people to judge the employees and possibly lose business. I have no problems with people who have visible tattoos but some people do.

16. michael_pearce

Dislikes Received:
    Jz I would deffinetly like to see the progress as its goes.

Fletch I also think that people need to be mindful of thier work like I said ealier.
    Neck,face, head tattoos I personally think are way over the top and should be left to it's origin of the tribes that used it.
    Just remeber when you see a guy with them he maybe part of a "tribe" of tattoo artist's
    Again I believe you as an employer should have every right to require a certain "look" of your employee's
    As far as you not seeing one you could'nt live with ourt I think that is a great statment because you should'nt get one that you can't

17. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not a hunting tat, but this is my first one. Got it last summer. My Dad past away when I was 13, and he was a huge Walley guy. He built fishing jigs for a hobby, so the jig is actually one that I took in, and he copied it. I should add, that these pics were taken right after I got it, thats why it looks a little bloody.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. michael_pearce

Dislikes Received:
    That is awsome. And I feel ur pain on ur chest dam those hurt lol

19. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like that tat! Tats with meaning are awesome! And chest tats hurt big time especially when I only way 140 and have like no fat on the ribs lol.

20. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't be hirable if I had exposed tattoos. Not just a certain company, but industry wide in general. I don't have a problem with tattoos, but as far as public image goes...there is a reason why the "professional" fields don't allow them.

I'm just lucky in the fact I have zero interest in getting one in the first place, so I am safe. I don't think tattoos make you a bad person or anything it's just not an image I want...and I doubt whatever I want on my body now will be drastically different than when I am 50.