Taste question

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by nynewguy, Nov 9, 2017.

1. nynewguy

nynewguy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Alright, so I got my first deer a little while back, a doe, and processed her myself. I notice an aftertaste but I'm not sure what it is. It's like a faint spiciness, but I didn't add any pepper. My girlfriend doesn't taste it, so I may be crazy. But is it possible it's from the tarsal glands? I did use the same knife for skinning and quartering. It was my first time and it was definitely challenging. Aged the quarters in a cooler of ice for 2 days. Recovered and field dressed asap. I've had venison before but it's been a while. Is it normal, or did I screw up in processing? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

OhioHunter72 likes this.
  2. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hard to say but I don't use the same knife for skinning and quartering. I like to skin them as soon as possible, then let them hang for a week if temps stay at 40 or below. Then start the processing. About the only straight venison we eat is the loins, stew some jerky. Rest is ground and mixed with the cheap ground beef in a variety of dishes. Do my own processing.

3. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use the same knife for gutting, skinning and processing. I do was the knife between each. Never had a problem with taste. Always skin deer as soon as I get home. Quarter it and on ice if temps are warm. Let sit for 4-7 days then cut it up. Always has tasted good to us. If you girlfriend doesn’t taste it then it’s probably just you. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    sounds to me as thought you lefty a lot of tallow, fat and the clear membranes all ad a somewhat fatty and gamey taste to venison

5. nynewguy

nynewguy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ahhh. Those clear membranes. I tried hard to clean everything off, but I had a hard time with the membranes. I took everything else off, but I wasn't sure if I was overdoing it by taking off all of those membranes. Any tricks to getting all of those off?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

6. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    just a lot of time puttzing with a sharp knife

nynewguy likes this.
  7. Jmnhunter

Jmnhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i think any meat tainted with the scent glands would be more noticable; are you getting the same taste from a variety of cuts or a certain cut that you've noticed?

Ldsturg likes this.