Target time

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jcz, Jun 14, 2016.

1. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know if its my bow crush I have with my Halon or what, but I have been shooting every night for a week at least 2 hours. After about 25 or 30 arrows my left shoulder really gets sore,( Im right handed.) My question is how often do you guys shoot? How many arrows do you shoot? Am I over dong it or just out of shooting shape? My groups up to 30 yards are good and just cant get enough of this bow. Thanks

2. Clem

Clem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't had a shoulder issue from shooting but I have had a few aches and pains from shooting too much after a break. Normally when I have to travel for work and I'm not at home then when I get back I may get an issue but it has not happened in a while.

I also shoot too much... if there is such a thing. I work from home and have a range in my backyard. I probably shoot anywhere from 20 to 100 arrows a day depending on how much work annoys me. I usually do a few groups at 20 yards then step back to max range (at the moment I'm back at 80 yards).

Clem

3. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like bursitis.... I got to the point that I could only manage 3-4 arrows at only 50 lbs. I finally went to an ortho and got a shot. The shot wasn't pleasant, but that was nearly 10 years ago, and no more shoulder issues. It will only get worse. Go get it looked at if it is bothering you.

4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^this.

But, I'll add if you can back down your bow, even a few pounds, sometimes it helps.

Last year, Bursitis in my left shoulder and the Cortisone shot fixed me back up. My right shoulder, well that's another story...

5. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  6. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Overshooting with perhaps a form issue mixed in. Have a good shooter watch you and for now back off a little bit.

7. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for posting that afflicted I do push and pull when I draw and wonder if that had something to do with my left shoulder hurting. Also a couple weeks ago after shooting a while I was drawn and then backed my draw down and it hurt like hell. I will try to draw with my right only. I don't think I need to back weight down, its at 65 pounds and not hard to pull and hold its just my left that hurts. I to practice from 10 out to 30 but haven't tried beyond 40. After I become consistent bulls eye at 40 then move to 50 and so on.
    Thanks
    H

8. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah. Letting down is a killer.

I'll only let down my bow if I'm hunting. If I'm practicing or in a competition I'll just take a questionable shot.

I used to pull 75# and now I'm down to 65# from various injuries.

9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Before my recent injury/surgery I was shooting 3-4 times a week. I don't count arrows, I just shoot until my time is up or my form breaks down. Sometimes 10 arrows, sometimes 75. I shoot year round, it's one of my favorite past times. I am dropping down to 50# bows this year. So once my recovery is done and I buy a new bow, I'll see how much my shooting habits change.

10. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I understand the Halon bow crush. I've had mine since February and I have shot it everyday (unless we leave for the weekend or anything I miss). However, I don't have certain amount of arrows that I shoot. I may only shoot one arrow one day, 3 dozen the next. Sometimes if I shoot the first 3 arrows and pull a tight group, I'll call it quits.

You can maybe try and bump your number of arrows down, or sometimes when I shoot a lot I get sore, but it could be from the repetitive motion? Try and take it down a few notches and see how you feel.

11. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I really need to start practicing more... I'm shooting about 2 times a week right now.

12. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot every day, year round. However, I also do not count how many I shoot. If my first group is tight I call it quits and shoot the next day.

13. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Afflicted, check with your doctor but I am guessing, since it sounds like the pain comes on after a lot of shooting, that the origin of your biceps tendon gets inflamed where it attaches to the cortacoid process (see the picture). The positioning of the shoulder when holding a bow causes this space to narrow between the cortacoid process and the end of the clavicle above it.

bicep tendon origin.jpg

Go get this evaluated by an orthopedic doctor that specializes shoulder issues. If I am right, best case scenario it is mild inflammation that can be treated with rest and OTC pain killers as necessary. Worst case scenario, you have the beginnings of a mild tear. Left untreated, this will turn into a complete tear that will require surgery to fix, resulting in you missing the upcoming season.

Simply lowering your poundage and shooting less will not correct the underlying problem. My guess is that your posture is in a position of rounded shoulders. This would cause the space to be abnormally narrow between the clavicle and cortacoid process while holding a bow. The resulting friction would be causing the pain that eventually comes on after shooting. You probably need to do some minor Physical Therapy to correct the underlying posture problem. Deal with it now and should be able to have a great season a head of you. There is time to fix this before season starts.

I help people fix their screwed posture and shoulders for a living. Best of luck to you. Go see a doctor and get it fixed!

14. Gator Dale

Gator Dale Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Would adding a chiropractor to the mix help also

15. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great Advice!

16. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Before you go and run up a bunch of medical bills, try two things.
    1. Back off the pounds. Just one or two can sometimes make all the difference and you won't even see it in arrow flight/POI.
    2. Shorten the draw length a little bit. Add a little more bend to the bow arm.

I used to experience the same thing as you when shooting "too much" at 30" I had to keep the draw weight in the low 60s to avoid the shoulder pain.

However, once I shortened my draw length to 29" (I think 29.5 would be the best but that's not an option for me) I found that I could draw/hold/shoot a higher draw weight without running into shoulder pain. I'm currently at about 68# which seems to be a nice balence between max power and comfortable shooting.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  17. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My pain got so bad that I dropped to 50#, and it sill killed me.... As for medical bills, I paid one $30 copay, and that was it. X-rays showed no structural damage, and the shot cured my pain completely.....

18. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Having lived thru a screwed up shoulder...my recommenation is get it checked out. I got little warning before mine ripped.

19. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    rotator?

20. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Too bad the rest of us still "feel your pain!"