Target buck down 11/18/22

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Brian811, Nov 19, 2022.

1. Brian811

Brian811 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The morning started with getting my hangers and tree strap from the stand I've been sitting in because I decided to move to the other stand 80 yds away with the wind we had. Not long after first light a nice young 8 walked past behind me. Then a couple of yearling spikes showed up. The one was really putting on a show laying his ears back and pawing the ground at the other spike. They sparred a little bit a few times until Mr. Big showed up and told them to knock it off. I tried calling to him but after he ignored it I knew he had a doe up in the thick stuff. After watching him walk up in to the doe I stayed glued on that area waiting to see if they would come out and my way. But instead, I had another small 8 come by and head right up in that thicket. The doe must have boogied out of there when her suitor ran the little buck off. They ended up holing up again just a little further away in the NE corner. I thought they would leave the property after that.

I sat back down and noticed a doe and fawn milling around to my southeast. They never smelled me which was great. Actually, none of the deer I had downwind of me smelled me. Not sure if it's because of the amount of wind or what but I was thankful. Wasn't long before yet another buck come from behind me and headed towards the doe and fawn. While I sat there watching them I turned my head to the right and saw another buck about 60 yds away. I thought it was another big buck but turned out to be the one I'm hunting. While I'm trying to get a better visual on him to see what he's doing two more small bucks walk right past my stand. Not sure if they got the doe up and they all came my direction but I was in the game now. The doe decided to bed up looking my direction so I had to be careful about movement. Then the buck walked toward my other stand that I've spent so much time in and I just shook my head and thought this can only happen to me. He bedded down just a few yards behind her. They stayed there for about 2.5 long hours.

The doe finally got up and I begged her to come my way. She didn't. Walked to the south about 20 yards and then suddenly took off back to the north. The buck stood there wondering what was going on. She must not have went far because I could see him now and then in the thicket feeding around. And then they were gone. I sat back down thinking that was my chance and I blew it moving to this stand. But also thankful for the encounter and to finally see him. After about 10-15 min I look to my right and here comes a couple fawns and then a doe. I hoped the other doe would try to join them and bring the buck to me. But I didn't see any more movement. The 3 deer moved past at about 27 yards and headed south. Then all of a sudden a doe comes running down the trail towards my stand and stop 20 yds away. I look up and there he comes down the creek. My heart started pounding in my chest. I couldn't believe I may get a shot at him.

He seemed very cautious for some reason and wouldn't commit to coming close to her. Stayed 20-30 yds away and then he positioned himself so she wouldn't head north which played perfectly to my benefit. She fed around me and then worked in front of my stand. If she would just keep going that way, he would follow and give me my shot. Instead, he turned and came back to the creek and then went back west and onto the trail. I waited for him to get to an opening and ranged it at about 30. He stopped just before and then turned back around into an opening 28 yds away. I drew back and settled my 30 on him. He stopped and I let the arrow fly. What a beautiful sight to see it hit right where I wanted. He took off and went maybe 50 yds and I watched him flop over. I couldn't believe it actually happened. Two bucks out of this stand brought to their death by a doe. The first buck I hunted for 3 years. Thankfully this one didn't take that long.

EA8100E1-A0B7-418E-87B1-555D886A10BC.jpeg

tynimiller, dmen, Shocker99 and 13 others like this.
  2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great story!
    What a studdly looking buck!.
    Congrats.

Brian811 likes this.
  3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

Brian811 and dprsdhunter like this.
  4. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    nice critter ... congrats

Brian811 likes this.
  5. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice one! Congrats

Brian811 likes this.
  6. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Beauty! Looks like the tip on his right beam is broke. That’s a bummer.

Brian811 likes this.
  7. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck! Congrats

Brian811 likes this.
  8. JW Gruv

JW Gruv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck - Congrats!

Brian811 likes this.
  9. Brian811

Brian811 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, unfortunately he broke off the tip and his g3 on the left side. About 10" or so gone. It sucks but I wasn't going to pass up this old boy. Just wasn't seeing any other mature bucks any where.

Shocker99 likes this.
  10. Brian811

Brian811 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys!!

11. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats, on a great buck, cool story

Brian811 likes this.
  12. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome story and awesome finish. Congrats!

Brian811 likes this.
  13. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Finally got to read this. I started reading 3 different times and got interrupted by work calls, crazy kids, or damn dog. Congrats he is an awesome buck!

Brian811 likes this.
  14. John Gates

John Gates Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nice story, thanks for sharing

Brian811 likes this.
  15. Bowhuntr64

Bowhuntr64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well done! Beautiful buck. Congratulations!

Brian811 likes this.