Tall guy hunting clothing.

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by frantic29, Nov 19, 2018.

1. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What’s the tall guys around here doing for hunting clothes? I am in the need for some new outwear. In the past a quick trip to Cabela’s would usually solve whatever problem I have but their tall selection has continued to dwindle to near non existent levels and now that Bass pro has them it looks like the Cabela’s brand is being phased out. Red Head has a limited selection of tall sizes but the quality of RedHead isn’t much better than Walmart IMO. About the only option I see is Pnuma at this point.

So what are the tall guys around here doing for clothing? I am 6’6 and fairly skinny at 190 so just moving to the next size up just doesn’t work.

2. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to tell you what you already know about Cabela's brand which is a real disappointment. Twelve years ago Cabela's was 10x better than Red Head until they sold out to them. I wear a Scentblocker Outfitter series Jacket and pants that's very comfortable but I'm 6'2" 190 but my XL seems like it would fit a guy that's a little taller than me.

3. frantic29

Dislikes Received:
    XLs are usually just too big through the body on me and the sleeves are still iffy. I really need a L with about a xxl length.

I did just notice Scentlok makes their Tactix system in tall sizes. Might try that out.

4. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m 6ft 4 and 250lbs and I wear find the under armor in 2xl top and 36 x 34 bottoms are perfect

5. frantic29

Dislikes Received:
    I have looked at UA Gear quite a bit and it is way too short for me. Like to a point where I continue to always try it on because it is so short I feel like it’s a defect and the next one should fit better. Their 34 length hits me just below the mid calf area. And their large and even XL sleeves don’t make it to my wrist. They do make the occasional tall size and even that fits short on me.

I need true tall sizes. Probably a LT jacket and ideally 36x36 pants with the occasional 34 working length depending on brand

6. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

The tallest UA pants I could get in a 36 waste are about .5inch from the sole of my foot so are you sure you are trying on their longest leg size? You are only 2 inches taller than me so if they are mid calf on you you perhaps you don’t.

7. frantic29

Dislikes Received:
    I have never seen UA pants specified as tall before. I did see a set that were 36x34 which is most brands tall inseam. They hit me just right above my 1/4 crew socks and when I would sit down would ride up onto my calf. The standard 36 there is a good 3” above my sock. I have seen and tried on tall sweatshirts and jackets in UA gear and they are too short as well. UA just doesn’t fit me correctly.

Ultimately I think I’m going to wind up with Pnuma. I can get 36/36 or 36/38 in that which should do me well.

We are probably just built differently. I know a guy that is 2” taller than me that wears a 32” inseam. He has to have his shirts specially made his torso is so long though.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  8. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am 6'5 and about 220. I typically go with the xl pants maybe 36" waist. I am regular 34x36 on jeans and the stuff I typically wear is long enough on me. I wear scentblocker, UA, scentlok, and don't typically have problems other than maybe being a little big around the waist sometimes. Sometimes on midway USA they have some stuff sorted by sizes like Large (tall) xl (tall) so maybe you could find some stuff on there.

9. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion, you are right about the redhead brand. It’s Walmart quality compared to Cabela’s brand. And ironically I like bass pro better stores better. I need the opposite tho, short person clothes, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums