Talk to me about single pin sights

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MnHunterr, Jul 13, 2016.

1. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Talk to me about single pin sights

I know there are a ton of topics on multi pin vs. single pin sights… I’ve done a lot of research the last few days on the pros/cons between the two. I am looking for testimonials from the users here on what you prefer, and why. I see so many people using the HHA line of single pins here and it has me interested. I love the idea of having an open sight housing but am afraid of the ranging/adjusting on the fly.

I’m currently using the Trophy Ridge Cypher 3 pin. I hunt central Minnesota Ag land with little to no elevation changes. I hunt a lot of field edges but have some thick locations of 20yd or less shots. I will not take a shot at an animal of more than 40 yards.

That being said… I would love to know more on the actual set ups some of you have. Do you have it set to 30yds or some other increment and practice with the pin locked in there so not adjustments are needed out to 40? Do you range and adjust on the fly? Have you ever experienced a "horror story" while using the single pin?

2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot single pin for more than 25 years and to me it would be confusing to go back to multi-pin. I just range everything when I get in my stand and that way I know the yardage before anything shows up. I don't think I could ever go back to more than one pin.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

3. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When hunting i have mine locked at 30 yards and adjust if needed or have time on longer shots. but from 20-40 yard i just leave it there.

4. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I started with a 3 pin then went to a single and didn't like the pressure of having to let down to adjust if they got to far out so I went back to a 5 pin and didn't like the clutter and trying to remember and adjust to the correct pin. So I compromised and went with a dual pin slider. Best of both worlds IMO, you have multiple pins so you don't have to adjust as much but have the ability to adjust for long range if needed. Sight picture is not cluttered or confusing. My 20 yard pin is a green .019 and my floater is set at 35 and is a red .010 so you don't really see it when focused on the green pin. This to me is the set up I'm gonna stick with. I customized it through my pro shop from MBG and it was just a few dollars more than what was on the shelf.

5. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i have been shooting a single pin for 10+ years. cannot imagine going back to a multi.

6. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The only thing I would suggest is if you are going to be hunting out of a ground blind I would purchase the light for the HHA sight because it can be pretty hard to see in the early morning or late evening. Other then that I have been shooting my HHA for 5 years and I love it. Also make sure you check to see what sight pin diameter works best for you. Since you only have one sight you need to find that middle ground for close up shots and longer range shots.

7. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking for reasons why you won't go back. What does your set up look like that you like so much? Do you range/adjust or have the single pin fixed at a certain distance and compensate?

For those that compensate - How long did you practice before you got used to it?

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have been shooting a single pin sight for several years now. I have been shooting a HHA for over 5 years. I se t mine to 25 yards and I don't have to touch it for anything under 50 yards. Like pastorjim I range everything when I get in my stand. The longest shot I have in most cases is 40 yards. Unless a deer comes running in, you will have time to range him before making a shot. HHA sights are easy to setup and built very well. Pin is very bright and can easily be adjusted with the rheostat. I add the sight light to mines because I do hunt from a ground blind sometimes. Once you shoot with one, you will be hooked! Good luck with your decision! :tu:

9. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't been using mine long enough to give a strong opinion, but I'm a fan.

I've heard the anti single pin people talk about not having enough time to range and adjust the pin. That doesn't seem like a legit reason, especially for stand hunting. Ive never had a scenario where I didn't have at least 10 seconds to do both before shooting.

I would never compensate that much, if at all. I'd practice shooting at 30 with it set at 20. That's going to be 90% of what you see when the deer does move off. Plus, that's about as far as you can shoot in the woods anyways.

Went with the Axcel Accutouch single pin. Wasn't a fan of the HHA wheel and I'm used to MBG sights.

10. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    Although all bow set ups will be a bit different... Where do you need to aim if you're shooting at 40yds with the sight set to 25? I can't imagine it being that much different. From what I'm understanding you do not adjust while in the stand?

11. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I only had one since last year but I range landmarks from all of my stands to know distances ahead of time. I have it set at 20 yards (90% of my shots are within that) and haven't had problems yet. This of course only while practicing at home but I don't see it being much different in real time scenarios.

12. KDORSETT12

KDORSETT12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am wondering the same thing as the OP, where I hunt in GA 25% of deer give you time to adjust. The other 75% of deer are in a trot to get from one location to the next especially during rut/gun season. I just bought a single pin sight, I am planning on setting my pin at 30 yards and practice my 20yrd and 40yrd shots and how much I would need to compensate when shooting for those shots. I figure just aim higher on the deer for the 40yrd shots and aim lower on the 20yard shots.

13. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot a single pin for at least 12 years now about 10 of which have been the HHA single pin. I shoot with both eyes open. With the peep I use it puts the outside of the housing perfectly centered in the peep. If that makes sense. That way I know that I'm centered on the shot.
    If I was to try to go back to a multi pin it would probably be worse than before. I was always worried more about the pin than I was about the target.

14. Wingtipsdown

Wingtipsdown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    10 minutes if you're talking on a deer.
    You can set your single pin on whatever yardage you want (20,25,30,35)
    If you decide on 30, shoot your 20 yard using your pin set at 30 (it will hit high and now you know)
    Do the same at 40 - it will hit low and now you know

It is literally that quick.

I always check when I get my bow out - make sure it is set on the yardage that I want it to be at.
    I always check and set it at that yardage putting my bow up.

You don't have to check twice, but it is habit for me (just like picking up or setting a gun down checking the safety).

Now remember this when you have something smaller (turkey, fox, etc and it is at a weird yardage and you have time to dial to that yardage - you are MONEY!!!)

PS:
    I have 2 bows.
    1 was set-up with 5 pin
    1 was set-up with single pin

I always shot best wit a single pin (I can kill with both, but the single pin always had the tightest groups)
    The reason is because it is so crystal clear only having 1 pin.

While the other 4 pins did not bother me at all - the single pin won every time.
    Both bows now have single pin sights. 1 with a .019 and the other with a .010

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  15. Nicklemke

Nicklemke Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Have you looked at or considered Spot Hogg fast eddy with two pins? I just got it this year switching from a HHA optimizer and I love that the second pin is there for me. In my case when I have the main pin set at 20yards the 2nd is dead on at 35 yards. I am yet to play around with it enough to figure out the drop and difference on the rest of the settings but so far I am super impressed.

16. MAD 6

MAD 6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Better still - a no pin sight, got my Archers Choice Green Dot Sight yesterday and have been shooting lights out today, sorry I waited so long to try it out.

17. archer2

archer2 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shot 3 pin sights for nearly 20 years. I switched to a single pin roughly 13 years ago to get rid of the sight picture clutter and to avoid using the wrong pin at the wrong time.
    After using the HHA Optimizer for many years I went looking for something better and tried the Spot Hogg and the MBG. I quickly sold them and went back to HHA. I am now using the King Pin and it is simply the best sight I have used and I don't see my self changing.

I believe the biggest key to being successful with a single pin is to know your set up and arrow flight and practice at different yardages without moving your pin.
    You need to know exactly where your arrow is going to hit if you don't have time to adjust your sight. Where will you hit with you hit an animal at 27yds if your sight is set at 20yds? Once you know this with confidence you are golden.

I have only shot 2 animals that I actually ranged and adjusted my sight. The others were shot at various distances with my pin set at 25yds and I knew exactly where it would hit from many years of practice.

18. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I set mine at 25 and I'm fine past 35. I get on target and shoot quicker with a single pin and don't have all that sight clutter.