Taking wife on first turkey hunt this spring! Need HELP!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Meathunter, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Meathunter

Meathunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ok my wife comes to me and says she wants to kill a turkey! I hardly ever turkey hunt so think this is a great thing for us to enjoy together, and for me to learn and buy new stuff.

1st-Any suggestions or insight on what not to do when taking your wife hunting. she hikes and camps alot so she is not afraid to get dirty, any advice would be appreciated (like use a ground blind etc)

2nd-I haven't turkey hunted in about 8 years what type of box call/slate call, is best? (can't use mouth call)

thanks on advance for any responses!

2. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Box and slate are the "go to" call for most. I prefer using a mixture of calls (read:using a mouth and slate at same time). Idk how most people hunt turkey, but we always go out, use some owl/crow calls to get the gobblers to sound off. They usually start sounding right at daybreak, and that's when we move. It's sometimes an hour into daylight before we sit and start calling. Again, we go to where the turkeys are, not to where we think they'll be (it's a bit different than deer hunting). Then we'd pick the plan of attack. If you're calling and she's shooting, then you should set up about 40 yards directly behind her.

If you can sneak up on a different side of a ridge that works really well. So that the gobbler has to walk over the ridge to get to you (ie, can't see anything until BOOM!). Camo Camo Camo, movement and camo are the only two important things. Set up a blind if you want, one of those pop up blinds, or some burlap camo pattern material, or even some tree limbs, finding some good cover can be beneficial, but it's not completely necessary. Obscure as much as you can. If you want to use a decoy, that also helps, especially in areas where you can't use the land to your advantage. I'd still set up behind your wife, but put the decoys 20 yards out from her, on field edges works great.

If you opt to sit on the ground, take something to sit on. My experience with turkey hunting is you're not always going to be stationary for long. Sometimes you have to get up and move based on what the turkeys are doing. I've personally never sat in a blind when turkey hunting, as the turkey don't always roost in the same place. We normally just have a butt pad, and sit against a tree. We also have the shotgun up and ready as soon as we know the turkey is heading our way. We keep some of that camo blind material in our pack, in case there isn't much cover where we choose to sit.

On what "not to do", just don't get upset at her and you'll be fine. Practice firearm safety!! You'll also want her to shoot a few times with the magnums at a printed turkey head/neck target. Pattern the gun a bit. That way you can tell her where to aim at the turkey. We usually pattern at 30 yards. Hope you guys have a safe and successful hunt. Hope this information helps. Good luck!

P.S. if you know that a group of turkeys hits a certain field, in a certain area, all the time, then I'd consider putting a blind up and leaving it out. Then, you just walk there and set up in the morning. We rarely have that opportunity, as they tend to like the neighbors field on top of a ridge, we call them out of that field often. So if the neighbor was a turkey hunter, I'd suggest sitting on the edge of the field.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  3. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For her 1st time I would sit right by her to coach her. Get a blind and a couple chairs and set up where turkeys like to hang out. A run and gun hunt (while exciting) isn't the best option for a 1st timer. Have fun !

4. Vendetta

Dislikes Received:
    I effectively described my first hunt (and every hunt since) in that post. I killed a 29lb 9in beard gobbler as my first turkey with that method (the first day I ever went hunting). We moved 4 times before we got to a place where the gobbler followed. Granted, the guy I was with is probably the best turkey hunter I know. This man can call a gobbler in with his mouth, no call necessary. That said, I wouldn't have that turkey on my wall if we didn't move around.

So, in this case, it might depend on the teacher. I was fortunate in who taught me to hunt, as he still stands as the most successful hunter I know.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  5. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    FWIW 14 of my last 16 gobblers have been killed from a blind and I have killed 30 overall. On small tracts of land (100 acres or less) I have found that by running and gunning you bump more birds than you get on. I use trail cameras to pattern the birds, find known hang outs and set up and wait. I can bet the birds will be roosted in the same places every morning but that is here in WI and not in FL. I also have had terrible luck with decoys and very rarely, if ever use them.

But this thread isn't about what you or I have done. Its about a rookie taking a never been turkey hunting and the hunt you described may be to much to bite off for them in my opinion. :D

6. Vendetta

Dislikes Received:
    I agreed with you. :)

7. Meathunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replies guys I will be going with a blind, this is the first time my wife is doing any type of hunting so want to make it as easy as possible.

I will be picking me up a nice box call, I used them before and doesn't seem that much has changed.

She will be using my brothers 20ga 1100 would regular federal turkey shot do or is there better loads out there now?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  8. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My advice .... get jiggy with it in the blind when she gets bored ... gotta make it fun for her :D

9. Meathunter

Dislikes Received:
    when I read that I had a vision of Ace ventura and the big ape!

10. Meathunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok guys I got my wife some Camo and a seat for the Hunt. My Brother is going to set us up and call while I help her with the gun and shot. Wish me luck this hopefully will be the gateway into her liking hunting and me getting to hunt more!