Taking pics by yourself with a tripod -- focus issue

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by mylsuhat, Jan 9, 2020.

1. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So this weekend, I was able to seal the deal on two nice Oklahoma bucks in 2 straight days.

You can see a little more of the story here: https://forums.bowhunting.com/threads/team-6-blood-thirsty-savages.96415/page-17#post-1548036

Here is my issue. I set up my Sony a5100 on a tripod, Sony E 50mm f1.8 lens. Everything looked great, I took the pics (3 shot burst on a 10 second delay).

I got the bucks cleaned, got the pics off the camera and just then I noticed that the focus of the picture was on the trees and not me and the deer. They aren't terrible but not as crisp as I wanted.

Any help/tips/suggestions?

[​IMG]
    (ISO 100 | 50mm | f/5 | 1/200)

[​IMG]
    (ISO 250 | 50mm | f/4 | 1/160)

The pics I took myself came out fine, of course lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The A5100 is compatable with the Smart Remote Control app. You need to go into the menu and find the app page. You can download the Smart Remote Control app (link to see what it is ... https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/usbdetail.php?eid=IS9104-NPIA09014_00-F00002). It is free, but you have to set up an account with Sony. Then you need to download the Image Edge Mobile app to your phone. This replaced the Play Memories app by Sony. When you run the Smart Remote app on the camera, you then fire up the Image Edge Mobile app and connect the two via wifi. Then you can use the app to control the camera. You can pick the point of focus to be your face or anything else you want it to be. Then you can run the timer in the app for say 10 seconds. This lets you throw the phone in your pocket and you grab the antler for the photo. That is how I did these two photos ...

In this one I set the focus point to the base of his antlers so that it would be in focus and then I would be soft.
    [​IMG]

In this one, I set my the G on the lens to be in focus.
    [​IMG]

3. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome stuff! I have the app for transferring photos but never considered using it as a remote. Wish I had the opportunity to redo those shots

4. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    If your using manual focus the easiest thing to do is place a stick in the ground where you will be standing, zoom in on it and focus until crisp. zoom back out until desired distance. then get in frame and let timer take the pic or remote feature. should come out good and crisp. Oh and remove stick first!

5. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    These were taking on the A6500 with the app as a remote control as well. It works very well. The only thing that I do not like is that it will not save them in a RAW format, so you have to work with a .jpg for processing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    You guys are too complicated for me. I just put the camera on a tripod, frame it how I want, click the camera over to manual focus with peaking on, set the focus on the deer's antlers or the base of his head, set the timer to 10 seconds, hit the button then run like hell! :lol:

Rick James likes this.
  7. fachries

fachries Newb

Dislikes Received:
    wow, Looks great!