Tac Vanes 2.75 vs Goldtip 2.75

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by 0317, Oct 31, 2020.

1. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I spent over $40 to get in the 'supposed' super quiet/fast Tac 2.75" Driver vanes (vanes/glue/pen shipping), Levi Morgans super quiet vanes .. they SUCK to fletch, to put it bluntly .. btw, I have over 20 yrs fletching arrows for myself and customers .. Morgan and Lancaster Archery tout using their Tac vane Glue and primer pen, which I also purchased.. I went by the prescribed methods as shown in the vids by Morgan and Lancaster Archery .. I used a Grayling Jig/Right helical (similar to a Bitz) as my AZ Mini Max wont work with them... one out of three vanes, the rear REFUSED to stay down, or the whole vane refused to stick.. I used the methods as described ... didnt work .. I had previously read about fletching problems with these, they are a very thin base and 'slick' which is supposed to make them 'quiet' and faster in flight ... NOPE !! .. the damn things just wont stay down .. I use GT Velocity's and roughed up the shaft and wiped with Denatured alcohol as I always do with my Blazers, .. NOPE, still wont stick .. no wonder Morgan silenced the replies on his you tube vid ... I tossed the remainder in the trash .. never again //

I then got in Goldtip Fusion 2.75" flo yellow vanes from Lancaster, and with these I can use my AZ Mini Max, and regular Pine Ridge glue which I use on my Blazers.. The GT Fusions are a wide base ... I used the AZ Mini Max, after roughing the shaft and using Denatured Alcohol to wipe down and just applied the glue .. those vanes fletched up wonderfully ( I did 6 arrows), and with the Mini Max left a fantastic Helical, no problems at all .... so if one is looking a a longer/lower Profile vane, I recommend the GT Fusions, stay clear of those damn Tac vanes .... good luck ..

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  2. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with you on the TAC Vanes. They are not very user friendly, I too trashed the left overs as well.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Havent been a fan of the TACs at all. Even with the same prep and build as AAE max stealth I wasn't getting good adhision

4. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Strange!! I just tried tac vanes this year and have not head a single one fail on me. Now I also used the tac wraps as well, maybe that helped with good adhesion.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    nope, no wraps for me, there is to much weight on the ass end as there is .... any more reduces the FOC to where I dont want it ... those Gold Tip Fusions work great, should have got those in the first place .... if Morgan/Tac would widen the base, they might have a good vane then (might) ... I talked to another in my archery club, he also concur's, the Tac's suck, he couldnt get them to stick either and he is a top end spot/3D shooter who has been at this as long or longer than I have ... they aint worth my time and the money .... ...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020