Swimming or walking deer?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by StinkyMatt, Oct 3, 2016.

1. StinkyMatt

StinkyMatt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Rookie question #2764

I have a couple of what I think are great blind locations. Close to food, lots of cover and water. I have seen deer in the general area but do not know how they get there.

My question is: Will deer swim across a pond thats about 100 feet wide in order to get to their food OR will they walk an extra 500 yards to go around the pond and cross where the creek flows into it. There are so many game trails in the area I really dont know. The are by the pond is extremely thick and marshy. I know for sure that they bed down somwhere on the opposite side of the pond, away from the food. I do not have entry access to the pond area itself or i would scout it out better.

2. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Deer will always take the path of least resistance.... same as a human. Would you walk around or swim? That's what a deer will typically do.

3. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    deer are going to swim for:

a doe in heat
    to avoid a predator

Otherwise, the deer is going to spend 6 hours casually browsing his way around the lake. The question is, what "food" do you have close to your blind that isn't on the other side of the lake?

4. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My guess is they will be walking around.