Sunflowers?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by rockinchair, May 13, 2011.

1. rockinchair

rockinchair Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone had any experience planting a plot of exclusively sunflowers? I have a roughly one acre spot that I want to do SOMETHING with this summer, but don't really want to invest a lot of money in it until fall when I drill some turnips. I just don't want to leave it as a big dirt spot during the summer, and deer love sunflowers so I thought it would be a cool idea.

How would a one acre planting of sunflowers hold up throughout the course of a summer? Any information?

2. Hoyt 'N' It

Hoyt 'N' It Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would try it cody, should make for good cover and food, once it starts growing clear out some shooting lanes in it because I've heard of people hunting over sunflower fields and couldn't get a good shot on the deer due to how tall and thick the field can get.

3. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes deer love the sunflower plants as they grow. If you don't plant enough of them you may not get any to make heads.

My concern would be the sunflowers may not be ripe by the time you need to plant the turnips. Usually mid to late August around here.

4. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've done this. Make sure you get black oil sunflower seed. I agree with JM, you're gonna need to plant those sunflowers pretty early in order for them to be doing any good by the time that you need to mow them down for your turnips. I'd plant some oats or something cheap and easy if you want something that the deer eat at about any stage in growth. Also, they'll be easier to mow down. Turnips only really had draw for me in the late season, I see more use out of a bean mix planted late or oats planted at the end of Aug.