summer sausage recipe

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by Grouch, Jul 31, 2020 at 9:06 AM.

1. Grouch

Grouch Newb

Dislikes Received:
    after numerous efforts to make my own seasoning mix, I can not seem to get it exactly right, Looking for others great summer sausage ingredients ! No I do not wish to buy commercial mix, Wish to blend my own TX

2. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a mix, family secret. Sorry but not sorry. However, I will share one trick. I always cut and clean my chunks for grind and freeze it for a minimum of thirty days. When I go to thaw, it really sheds the blood. Imo that really helps improve the flavor.

3. Grouch

Grouch Newb

Dislikes Received:
    TX for nothing okiebob ! As if me in Wisconsin will let the cat outta the bag and hurt your family, I suppose then you gotta kill me also ?

Okiebob likes this.
  4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll tell you what. Don't use black pepper and use White pepper about a third less than your recipe calls for. Always buy fresh spices, yes the older the spice the less effect. Coriander and allspice, I couldnt tell you a ratio I just know when it's right by smell, some year it's a touch more coriander and some years it's a touch more allspice but most recipes call for equal parts. Fresh pork fat makes a huge difference. And once again, my big trick is freezing for at least thirty days to make it shed blood. We do natural casing and put less than an hour of smoke on it daily when it is hanging to cure.

trial153 likes this.