Suggestions on GPS Apps?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by jhall122, Jun 25, 2022.

1. jhall122

jhall122 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’m curious what peoples thoughts are on the the best hunting GPS apps for the money. I’ve been playing around with the free versions of OnX, HuntStand, HuntWise and others and trying to decide if I want to purchase a subscription for my first year of bowhunting public land. Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used huntstand long ago,switched to onX, but cut over to basemap a couple years ago as my subscription app of choice. I do have a few others free versions installed too...

[​IMG]

Avenza particularly useful if you're on federal land and need motor vehicle use maps or related details, like trails.

Windy, and Accuweather are better for most areas I hunt, for wind and weather.

GE, if I need any special KMZ overlays, not available in basemaps.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  3. Mo381

Mo381 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I used Huntstand before they had landowner data and still have it on my phone. I have also paid for OnX for the last few years. You can find it at a discount if you look, Camofire etc.

4. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think OnX is the best platform I have used, clear boundary markers with owner name and address, has made contacting private land owners easy if need be and you can save maps offline so you can still use app in no service areas. There also multiple layers for land views and multiple markers to mark stands, cameras, deer sign Etc. You can also take a pic of something and save it with the marker. There is also a tracker so you can track where you have traveled, I use this for shed hunting and locating deer after the shot, it will show you if you missed any areas and will track the distance and time traveled. Well worth the $, good luck !

5. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Right now I run a mix of Spartan Forge, Go Hunt Maps and OnX. I feel like OnX got lazy, they are the priciest of the 3 I use, and the satellite images they provide leave you wanting more. I downloaded OnX when they first released their app and have 1000s of waypoints so its hard for me to abandon completely. I have contemplated transferring them to my other apps but so far I have just started fresh with them and reference OnX as needed. Eventually I plan on giving up my OnX subscription and then picking between Go Hunt and Spartan Forge (Go Hunt offers maps with their normal subscription or just a map option. Great value if you want access to their other info as well).. Most of the major map apps give some sort of free trial.. They all have their ups and downs, I would download as many as you want and try them all out. It won't take long to see what you like and don't like.

6. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with this. Gohunt seems to have better imagery. Onx is somehow the priciest for what it offers, but pretty user friendly. I love all the extra stuff with gohunt. If you like or want to hunt out west I recommend gohunt, but I have no experience with Spartan forge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhouck06 likes this.
  7. Tommy Fults Jr

Tommy Fults Jr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Onx for the money you can't beat it

8. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    OnX especially for tracking & property lines and Huntwise for current wind direction calculations for each stand (I have a couple stands where the wind will swirl pretty bad)

Sent from my SM-S908U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app