Suburban Deer & Wind

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Worzeth, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So the Michigan bow opener was Thursday and I went out for an afternoon hunt. I was in my stand by 4 and a 7pt buck came to my feeder at 5pm and hung out for an hour. He came in from down wind of me and walked all around my stand and feeder for over an hour and never winded me the wind was steady 15 mph and 25 mph gusts. I am in a 70 acre wooded area between 3 big neighborhoods and a lake on the 4th side. I know I have 2 big 8pts so I let him walk. Then tonight a little 4 pt came by 1st again straight down wind with even more wind today than yesterday. He came from behind me and right directly under my tree stand. Then a doe and 2 yearlings about 20 mins later and walked away from my feeder straight down wind of me. Now I do shower in scent-control and wash my cloths in de-scent I also wear a acorn scent waffer.

Does wind direction matter to suburban deer? Because it don't seem like it...

2. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wind blowing that hard will often diffuse your scent and blow it past them before it gets to the ground. 15 to 25 is pretty good wind to do that.

3. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wind blowing that hard will often diffuse your scent and blow it past them before it gets to the ground. 15 to 25 is pretty good wind to do that. The higher you are in the tree the more likely your scent will be carried beyond the deer too.