"Stupid Loop" type you use and why?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Stikman, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Stikman

Stikman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With the shorter axle to axle bows in abundance across the market today the string loop, or "stupid loop" as we call it (old term from years ago) has become a necessity to keep our arrows knocked to our strings. I've been using tie on loops for about 10 years. I see they make metallic type loops that clamp on to your string to serve the same purpose as a tie on version. I haven't had any issues with my tie on loops, but just curious if anyone uses a metallic version(like the T.R.U. Nok, or the Ultra-Nok XL). Are there draw backs to either type(metallic or rope style) of release loop, other than the obvious speed loss? Do the metallic versions make noise against caliper style jaws? Or do you need to shoot a rope release to use a metallic release loop?

2. abates352

abates352 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i use to use one, but did not like it. it was noisy with my caliper release, and i had to cut the back portion of my nocks off so there was enough room in the loop for my release. i switched to string loop, and havent looked back.

3. Hoythews71

Hoythews71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same here. The noise was the big factor for me. A release clanking off a metal loop in the still of winter really wakes the woods up!

4. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had trouble with the D-Ring not releasing from a single caliper release. I use a Scott release. The noise didn't seem to be bad but not releasing the string was impossibly unpredictable and potentially dangerous. A double caliper may work fine but the string works just fine with me.

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Metal loops have been out for quite some time now, and for awhile were actually more popular than what is the now-standard string loops. Their drawbacks are mostly the noise associated with metal-to-metal contact, and the weight. Additionally, I remember several reports of the metal fracturing and sending arrows out into oblivion.

IMO the string loop is better than the metal loop in just about every way. The only advantage to the metal loop is that just about any dummy can screw one onto his string should the need arise. Not everyone can tie a string loop.

6. KodiakIslandArchery

KodiakIslandArchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Used one long ago....but opted for a catfish loop...
    Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

7. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The metal loops are hard on releases also . They have been known to tear them up. Causing burrs and sometimes the release will hang on them. Saw this happen in person. Was interesting trying to let down with only 1 side of a caliper release hanging on to the loop.:eek:

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

8. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Metal loops flat out stink IMO. For all of the above reasons, plus they're also hard on string servings from the clamping.

Stick with the tie on loops. They're easy to tie on, lighter and quieter. It's a win win.

9. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    RedHDCharm......bcy for me all the way.

10. wolbear

wolbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When the metal loops came out, they were an alternative to the BCY material. Most thought they were great because you could simply loosen the small screws to adjust nock height and tune fairly quickly. After some use, most began to see there downfalls, noisy, heavy on the string, and to top things off, if the small set screws did not strip out the heads, they were prone to breaking and failing when needed the most. I honestly was witness to an archer losing the sight in his right eye due to the failure of one of these loops. I ONLY use the BCY loop material applied with D-loop pliers.