Struggling to Fill my Turkey tags

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by bowcrazy30, May 18, 2014.

1. bowcrazy30

bowcrazy30 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well guys, so far during the NY Turkey season, I have heard gobbles, but just havent seen much until today. I found a nice little honey hole, and I got permission to hunt in there, to be honest I was later getting in than I liked the past two days hunting it, when I arrived the toms were already gobbling, and it was amazing, I set up and I have a DSD upright hen, and a Zinc LCD feeding hen, and a Primos Killer B decoy set up, I dont have a blind, I just hid behind some rocks and the shrubs that were there. I did some calling now I am not great at calling all I can do is yelps, with both a diaphram call and box call. the first part of the morning I had a few hens walk in and walk around a bit and walked into the woods on the other side of the field, a few minutes later a two hens started walking towards the center of the field from where the one hen walked in, and they brought a nice tom with them, the minute he saw my decoys he strutted and walked right towards my decoys and then hung up about 90 yards away and gave me a nice show. a did some calling, well alot of calling actually. with both my diaghram call and box call. after about 20 min he took the two hens with him. about an hour later more hens came in and then 3 more big toms came in, but they hung up at the edge of the field and wouldnt commit. they were probably 110 yards away. I know I need a blind but money is tight right now, but plan on getting one soon. Can anyone give me some advice please??? Thanks

2. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't feel bad... I'm struggling too fill my NY tag too. I wish we could hunt all day long! I also wish we had an archery-only season followed by a gun-only season. I sure would feel a bit safer hunting those birds then. I had a bird coming a couple of weeks ago only to have a BANG ring out. Sure glad the tom wasn't in front of my blended in blind.

Where do you live in NY?
    I'd be glad to meet up with you if you're not too far away and we could both hunt out of my blind. I hunt usually in Steuben County (where most of he recent flooding hit the region hard!). I'm now hunting near Watkins Glen - but the birds are not cooperating. :bhod:

3. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    you don't have to have an expensive blind to be successful

burlap or the camo cover blanket types with some sort of frame worked for me in the past.

you've gotta be digging the challenge though. =)

4. bowcrazy30

Dislikes Received:
    Hi there Jerry, first let me say thank you for serving. and I hope that the flood did not hit your house. I think that would be awesome if we could hunt together, and get a double! I live and hunt in watertown, however I wouldnt mind driving to steuben county. I hope that they birds start cooperating soon. Let me know when you would like to meet up. talk to you soon

Nick

5. bowcrazy30

Dislikes Received:
    You are absolutley Right, I am loving the challenge, and I agree that you dont have to have an expensive blind as well. I do have one of those blanket type blinds but I dont use it all the time.. I got my first turkey last year just hiding behind a bush and he came running in as I called and I nailed him at 10 yards!

6. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You're welcome. We're not flooded... however some of the roads to get to a GREAT hunting spot in Steuben County are pretty much washed out. They're gravel and the rain /flooding did a severe number on them.

Watertown is like what... 3 to 4 hours away from here. Heck... I'd travel to you for some of those monster bucks you got up there. :)

You could boogie on down most anytime... but season closes on 5/31. Maybe we could get together next year or meet in the middle somewhere. Say near Cooperstown, Oneida, etc... If you get a minute, check out my hunt from last year: Amish Turkey Hunt

To get ahold of me, use the contact info on my website (bottom of my signature).

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  7. bowcrazy30

Dislikes Received:
    Good morning Jerry, I also agree that we should be able to hunt all day. alot of the times it seems that alot of the toms dont come out until then after they breed the hen they are with or if weather is bad in the morning.. Man That was an awesome hunt! I would have been very excited as well! Yes we do have some big bucks here in watertown, but I here that in Steuben County and Sulvey county that you have alot of big bucks there also. Well bud take care and i will talk to you soon happy hunting..