String tracker?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Incog, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Incog

Incog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    About 33 years ago, I was given a several year old compound bow by my uncle because I was using a recurve. It was slow as molasses, loud, and didn't have punch through power. It also had a "string tracker" with a number of replacement cartridges.

For three years, I used this bow and loved being able to follow the string 200+ yards (if necessary or it didn't break). Due to only having an entry hole, good blood usually took 60-70 yards. Another side effect of having the broad head still inside with the string attached was it jerked the arrow back and forth in the lungs causing even more damage.

The cartridges had a warning to take a few practice shots when using a brand new one. This was to make sure that it was operating correctly. I ignored that warning one day and tried to shoot a nice 6 point. It sounded like the fishing reel drag when fighting a salmon. I ended up with just the broad head penetrating the hide. He was shot by a friend several weeks later during gun season.

That was the last time I used one. For those of you who have never heard of what I speak...

Does anyone else still use these? If so, any problems with today's modern bows / xbows shooting 300+fps?

Thanks, Incog

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. JMann11

JMann11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've used them before but stopped using it when I got my new crossbow. Don't know how it would work with them shooting so much faster, but I would be interested to know if you try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Incog

Incog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I do, it will be next year... Had two really bad blood trails this year. Loaned my backup old crossbow to the father in law who shot fixed 4 blades. His buck ran 25 yards and collapsed in front of him. Of course he hit heart where I hit high lungs on my two.

4. JMann11

JMann11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I still have 2 of them at home, but no way to connect them to my new bows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk