strange woodland experiences

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Whitetail_Widowmaker, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Whitetail_Widowmaker

Whitetail_Widowmaker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard a lot of hunters tales around the camp about weird things in the woods they have experienced. I was wondering if ya'll have had any tales like these also. I've been sitting in the stand before sunrise and heard strange noises that I couldn't identify worth a crap.....and I'm not talking bigfoot lol.

2. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I Have Had One Strange Occurrence But I'm Not To Comfortable Sharing. People Think You're Crazy When You Share stories Like That Lol

3. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A bit off topic, but have you ever wondered why those pesky aliens travel light years to probe people? Space perverts, I guess.

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had two fighting coons climb my treestand one morning. The ywere so involved in kicking the crap out of each other they didn't see me or ignored me. I finally had to stand up and yell at them to keep them from coming into my stand and it took a good bit of noise to break their focus. The prospect of two pissed off coons getting tangled up with me and my bow at 6 AM scared the crap out of me there for a few minutes, lol.

Then for three mornings in a row during gun season in 2007, I heard something that would make a series of calls that sounded like "whoooop, whoooop, whoooop"...I have no idea what it was, don't believe it was another hunter screwing around with me in the middle of my land. Never heard it before or since...sometime after that I was watching a bigfoot show on TV and they were playing supposed bigfoot vocalizations and one sounded really similar. I'm not saying what I heard was a bigfoot....but who knows....anyway it was creepy enough at the break of day that it made me grip the crap out of my rifle for a while.

5. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had something follow me one morning. It was matching my footsteps. When I would stop, it would stop. I walked a bit faster it matched my speed. I stopped short, I heard a distinct crunch of the leaves...I wasn't moving. WTF?! I stomped my foot like an alerted deer.

Turns out in the pitch black of the Iowa woods, I was being stalked by a Bobcat. It let out the most blood curdling scream that made my jimmies shrink. Then it bounded off.

6. USFAN51473

USFAN51473 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That would have scared the ship out of me!! They are nasty little creatures. We have them in FL and I would not want to tangle with one.

7. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had something climb the tree that I had just climbed, I mean thats not too wierd it was probably a squirl or a coon, it was still really dark in the AM and it was climbing up the back side of the tree so I just sat there and it climbed on by.

8. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Not really strange, but kind of cool. I had a bear come out a thicket about 200 yds away, walked across a bench until he hit my scent. He then made a B-line to the bottom of my stand (never lifting his head), and then just put his paws up on the ladder and looked at me.:D

9. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hope you had some spare shorts to change into after that encounter.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had a couple, both involving bobcats. The first, I was sitting in my stand and it was at first light. I heard that blood curdling scream, and had no idea what it was. It was loud and it was close, maybe 40 yards behind me. It wasn't until about 20 minutes later when I caught some movement and noticed a young bobcat. It was hunting and had a field mouse. It would catch it, then let it go, and it did that over and over for about 10 minutes before it picked it up and took off with it. My only guess was the sound was the mother bobcat telling that young one to get out and hunt. It was pretty cool once I put the whole picture together, but scared the crap out of me at first.
    The second was a bobcat that was walking along a dry creek bed, that happens to run right past the base of my tree. The bobcat stopped on a stump to get a drink, then came down the creek bed towards me, walking right to the base of my tree, stopping and raising it's front paws up onto the tree trunk as if it was going to start to climb up the tree. I decided to stop on the tree stand, as I wasn't real interested in sharing my tree with a full grown bobcat.

11. raynman46

raynman46 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have never witnessed this (thank god) but years ago, my father in law found a blue office chair in the middle of the woods. every year while walking in from his stand, he takes a dirty picture of himself sitting on this chair and sends it to his wife.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've also had, on more than one occasion, owls fly into my tree, and land on a branch very close. That's pretty spooky too.

13. sbrandt300

sbrandt300 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    when I was 13 or 14 I was terrified of the dark so one day my dad made me walk to the stand alone while bowhunting. As I walked along the coyotes started too howl. next thing I know they keep getting closer and closer. So me I start running for the tree stand get up in it and there were 5 coyotes around the tree. couldn't even shoot one cuz I left my boy at the bottom.

Was walking to the rifle stand in a cedar swamp one morning and we have a fence line running threw it. Well as I walked I spooked a doe. She snorted at me and scared the crap out me. Well then she decided that it was a good idea to run into the fence and get tangle in it and that's when the belaring started. She finally got out of it. I shot the first doe I saw that morning.

14. raynman46

raynman46 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    for me, i was walking back in one night just after dark and i heard a loud howl that sounded like it was right behind me. I dont know where it was or how close it really was but im not one to test wolves so i pulled out my pistol and fired a shot into the air to try and scare them off if they were close. ill admit it scared the S*** outta me.

15. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We have several large patches of bamboo on our land. I was walking by one of them at about 4:00 am to my stand. And I heard something moving around it in. Probably a bobcat, but sure scared me.

16. wisbh

wisbh Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Two years ago, about two minutes before last light, A wolf sounded off right behind me in the woods. Had to be within 40 yards. All the coyotes in the area started going crazy. Had to be 10 of them going back and forth. Makes the hair in the back of your neck stand up. That was a long walk back to the truck that night!

17. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was walking back to my car last year. I saw what I first thought was a plastic bag in the weeds at the edge of a pond. I walked closer to get a better look when I realized it was a skunk. I took off quickly back to my original path. I wasn't interested in getting sprayed.

18. djandy

djandy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    this is not strange i was in my deer stand one calm morning i was hunting about 350 yards form a secondary Hyway when i heard what sounded like a car leave the road and crash. moments later i heard a young lady screaming my first thought was to go help before i could get my climber all the way down the tree i heard a siren so i gather all my stuff and made my way to the truck and drove over to the scene. they were 2 18 year old girls involved in the accident 1 died when the car rolled over on top of her. i never hunted that area again

19. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^ That's sad^^

I have another one but it's not strange it's infuriating. One of my stand is about 200-300 yrds from a gravel road on a ridge line. One night a small blue pickup drives by hits the breaks and backs up. I hear one gun shot. One guy gets out from the passenger side and goes down into the creek bed where I can't see him. 15 min later a white pickup pulls up and picks the guy up. F%*King POACHERS!

20. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Probably the most nerve racking thing so far for me was 2 years ago hunting public land from the ground with my bow. Had a pack of yotes keep circling me and sounding off, it was pitch black and could only catch glimpses of movement, makes you a little nervous.