storm chasers on discovery channel

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by TeeJay, Nov 28, 2010.

1. TeeJay

TeeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As a lot of you know a F4 tornado ripped threw town last June. It tore through I don't know how many homes but alotof them. Churches, our school, the fairgrounds, countless businesses. It flattened 20 acres of my pines and missed my house and shop by 300 yards. Anyway the storm chasers filmed a lot of it. It is going to be in Dec 1 wed night. Check it out.

2. 2 Lunger

2 Lunger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been watching the show this season. Unfortunately, the only guy I liked on the show passed away on the 3rd episode.

3. Mo_bowhnter

Mo_bowhnter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Watching it now. Unbelievable...I was actually just going to shoot you a PM because I hadn't seen any of your posts in quite a while and didn't know if you were affected. Glad to here you made it through safe.

4. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh my Is all I can say after watching this show tonight. TeeJay told me It was bad, boy he was right.

2Lunger, what happened to the guy that passed away?

5. 2 Lunger

2 Lunger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    TeeJay, that tornado was insane! I'm glad you all came out ok. That was just unbelievable.

Shultzy, Matt was the guy I liked. He rode in the TIV that was filming for IMAX. They intercepted a tornado on Thursday of the week of the 3rd episode and they all went back home to their families for the weekend. He hung himself and they found him still alive. He died in the hospital 13 days later. Weird, the guy was very successful, married with 2 small children and a very upbeat likeable guy. Who knows though, it was just a show.

6. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's terrible.

7. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

The dude who owns the TIV is an ass clown IMO, I liked Matt also.

8. TeeJay

TeeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wasnt all that impressed with the show. There was very little coverage of what this thing did. i wantt to say about 100 total loss homes. Probly another 200 damaged. The damage was unexplainable. As we were cleaning up town I saw these vehicles in town I was just shocked they didnt air more of the aftermath. This thing tore through like 45 miles of country side oh well. The power of those things are awsome.

9. Mo_bowhnter

Mo_bowhnter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They had some footage of that tornado ripping across a woodlot and full grown trees were just disappearing from the landscape. Just crazy.

10. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great show...when i was a kid i always wanted to be a stormchaser. Thought it was the coolest thing ever.

I didnt know they part about the suicide. I knew he had an "accident", but killing himself puts a whole new spin on it. Intresting.

11. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    From what I hear is when these guys are getting their insurance checks from the damage, they can't just use it to rebuild. Mortgage rules say they have to use that check to first pay down the mortgage, then apply for a new loan to re-build. Well with all the new mortgage requirements, a lot of people aren't qualifying for new construction loans. That and since values of houses are down, the equity just isn't there. Kickin a guy when he's already down if you ask me.

12. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    TeeJay, I didn't see the show, but I can only imagine. We had a customer come up to camp shortly after the tornado that was from Wadena. He said he looked outside at his yard and thought, "Great, look at all the sticks I have to pick up." Then he walked outside and looked 1 block away and there was nothing left. He had no idea the tornado went through until he went outside.

13. TeeJay

TeeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dan it was something. Who was your client I'm sure I know them.

14. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Bob Heileg. Retired school teacher.

15. Oneshot7

Oneshot7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love this show....I saw that episode last night and that was an absolute monster, very cool to watch but that destruction was horrible.

I personally like Reed's team even though Reed can be an ass. I really liked Matt too, never knew it was suicide....makes it more tragic.

16. TeeJay

TeeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep I know him. I bought his fish tank. He is a retired science teacher I think.

17. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I forget what he taught. He's a good guy and has been coming up to my camp before I was born. Now that he's retired, he makes 2 trips a year. Always smiling.

18. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't watch the show, but I had lunch today with a guy that works for the show. We went to college together. He designs and builds the trucks for one of the teams. According to him, Matt and his wife were having trouble. There was more to the story, but I feel it was a little too personal to post here. I feel for the kids.