Stolen Game Camera

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Copehunt, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Copehunt

Copehunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Needed to finally get away for a few hours this morning, so I go out to my friends property a little over an hour away to check things out, start the tractor up and let it run, put some corn out etc. I also brought my lap top, new batteries and a memory card. I get all the way out to my friends ladder stand and I notice his seat cushion is gone. I figured the wind tore it off and I was going to look around for it later. I went about another 35 yards where our trail camera is set up and yep, it wasn't there either. Can you believe that?! This is 40 acres of private, wooded property. Surrounded by other larger plots of land and farms. The camera is probably almost center of the property and it's not easy land to traverse either. I was very disappointed and pissed off too. So is my pal obviously. We kind of figure that it may be a neighbor out there snooping around, not necessarily out to steal anything, but maybe noticed that their picture was taken and instead of being embarrassed about trespassing, just took the whole camera. He's had this property 35 years and no one has ever messed with it and the first year we put a camera up, some A-hole swipes it. Not to mention I was super excited about seeing what surprises we had waiting for us on the camera. We have two other ladder stands and they seemed to have been left alone. The seat cushion really baffles me...So I went out there to wind down a little this morning and instead got all wound up. Grrrr!

2. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats horrible...i always hate hearing these all to common stories.

3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I absolutely can't stand it when someone takes someone else' property. I just can't see how you can walk into a place and leave with something that doesn't belong to you. I'll tell you, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I did something like that. Real sorry to hear about that.

Blessings......Pastorjim

4. Copehunt

Copehunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, you feel a little violated. It's a crazy world...

5. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sux

ya that sux man.. that's the reason why I always chain mine with a lock on it. most people don't go out in the
    woods with a bolt cutter on them.

6. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's time like that when you catch a crook you want to take matters into your own hands. The worst part most of the time it's someone you know.

7. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks! :mad:

Perhaps it's time to setup a dummy camera to catch the SOB?

8. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With shed hunters roaming the woods it's a bad time of year to leave a cam in the woods, I would talk to the neighbors and let them know someone is stealing thing and to keep a look out. Also i have been putting two cams out here for each setup hoping to catch someone in the act.

9. Copehunt

Copehunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fitz, ultramax-
    Can you elaborate on your ideas? I'm interested... "dummy camera" and "two cams". How could I make either or both of these work and what equipment would I need?

Thanks,
    Rich

10. ultramax

Dislikes Received:
    here is a video of a double set so watch the second cam flash, I have a small step ladder i use with a ez cam mount to angle it down at the dummy cam.

I hate to use two cams because of the cost, but losing cams bites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-OI5U0ANi8

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  11. Copehunt

Copehunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you!

12. tom14cat14

tom14cat14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It is pretty sad when people steal cameras. We hear about it all to often. What happened to respecting one another. Good luck in catching the person.

13. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sucks when that happens. I had that happen at a place in WV. Rumor is that my neighbor down the road comes on the property to hunt when we are not around which is most of the year. I had a second camera that he didn't find and I have one pic of a guy on it but it was from a real long distance and no way saying who it is.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been there man. It sucks, and yes. I'd love to be alone in a back alley w. the SOB that stole my stuff.

15. CRABCLAW

CRABCLAW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been there man. It sucks, and yes. I'd love to be alone in a back alley w. the SOB that stole my stuff.

X2 I had someone take my card out of my camera last week. Surprised the camera was still there.

16. NebraskaDeerKilln

NebraskaDeerKilln Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If some of you remember my post months back of a trespasser we caught on camera. He came back and left a tree stand for us that we found while shed hunting. Maybe a section should be dedicated as the wall of shame to the crooks we catch on camera!

17. Copehunt

Copehunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I figure if I can outwit a turkey or deer, I should be able to catch a thief using some of the same tactics. I am trying to decide in what position to have his head mounted when I do. Upright, sneak, semi-sneak...? Probably a surprised sneak.

18. NebraskaDeerKilln

NebraskaDeerKilln Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe his head shoved up his own arse.

19. Copehunt

Copehunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Actually that is a SUPER idea! How could we get the Webmaster at bowhunt.com to add that to their site? A Wall Of Shame like you said, maybe titled something like Trespassers-Poachers-Thieves. The members on here can send the photos in that they have captured on their trail cams and it would just be a wallpaper of thumbnail photos that you could click on. I think that would be a huge hit on here dude, I'm serious!

Rich

20. ultramax

Dislikes Received:
    This was a bad year for me,One cam stolen,second cam stolen then returned but the guy missed the tree by 20 yards i have 220 pics of him,his home and truck my ltl acorn cam has security code that he could not brake into so he tried to put it back. Here is the thing turns out he is my brothers brother in-law. guess where he doesnt hunt anymore. I am sure he did both and even moved one of my ladder stands during rifle season.

I am going to miss him:bash: