Steel Roof

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by picman, Nov 9, 2020.

1. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will be in the market for a new roof in about 5 years.

Thinking of putting on steel. I've seen steel "shingles" that have stones on them just like asphalt shingles.

Anyone know anything about them? The good, bad or ugly?

Supposedly have a lifetime warranty.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Come on Bob Pic is not asking for a quote he just wants advice damn it.:bash:

wl704 likes this.
  3. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was hoping he would reply but thought perhaps other members have gone this route.

4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can go on for days about this stuff.. give me a minute and I'll give you an explanation. Going to have to go to the computer for this one.

5. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am a fan of metal roofing and I will tell you like I tell my clients, if you are doing a new build then metal roofing is feasible bc most times you can wrap it into the mortgage. The average cost of metal is 3-4 times higher than composition shingles. The product you are describing sounds a lot like Gerard, DECRA, Metro or Boral roofing material and it is nothing more than overpriced junk. I wouldn't install it even if the margin was 200% because it is a huge disservice to my clients, absolute junk when it comes to repairs, cosmetic endorsements from your insurer will negate their obligation and it is super pricey. If I do metal I only do standing seam. We used to install the Matterhorn Metal shingles but they sold to Certainteed and they jacked the price on them, great metal shingle and if money isn't a worry I will drive up to Wisconsin myself and get ya taken care of. You are better off spending the money on a heavyweight laminated composition shingle with a class 4 impact rating. Most insurers offer premium discounts for having it installed and the proration rate is 50 years. Personally, I like GAF Ultra but it does not have a class Impact rating just a tough booger. Certainteed Belmont class 4 IR is a hoss but I really like the GAF AmorShield II class 4, 131 mph wind rating and it can withstand 2" hail at 70mph. It takes a while to see the savings in a metal roof when you factor in the cosmetic endorsement, meaning if it looks like hell but is functioning the insurance isn't replacing it. You could replace a comp roof 3 times with the amount of money spent on metal.

Here is one of my standing seam work, I'm damn proud of it. FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg IMG_0013.JPG.jpeg

wl704, trial153, Germ and 2 others like this.
  6. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh, and the "Lifetime Warranty" is only for manufacturers defects, not workmanship or acts of God. So it is as useless as tits on an alligator.

greatwhitehunter3 and Germ like this.
  7. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i have a metal / steel roof love it glad I did it 4 years ago

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    Okiebob likes this.
  8. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And.. if you're going to spend money on roofing.. spend it on products like Ice & Water barrier and solid sheathed decking.

9. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The cosmetic issue is what led me to at least look at these shingles. Figure being stone coated, they would show less damage from potential hail storms-not that we get many. Once every 5 years or so that is big enough to do damage.

These are class 4 impact rated. It's a 50 year pro rated not lifetime. They are pricy-about $230/square retail. So, slightly less than 2x the most expensive impact shingle from the same place.

I believe Ice and Water barrier is code for our area if not, our local roofers have done an excellent job promoting the benefits. My dad had it on his reroof 4-5 years ago and I see it on every house that has done a reroof lately.

Unless we live to be 100 or better, when I replace the roof, it will be the only time for me.

Thanks for the opinion!!

That is a lot of roof on that place!

Okiebob likes this.
  10. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info!!

11. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We redid a mud room foyer entry way. The colored standing seam roof was 3x the cost of high quality shingles.

12. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Totally worth it. Standing seam with an insulation under it is the most optimal roofing system, imo.

trial153 likes this.