Stealth Cam and Batteries

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Marauder, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Guys right now I have the G42NG camera and it's been going through batteries fairly quickly. I also noticed when the camera is at around 40 percent it won't take night time pics. Is this normal? The camera is around a year old. I have always used alkaline batteries but thinking the lithiums might be the way to go? Does anyone have any experience with lithium batteries and is there a reliable place to order them in bulk to save a few bucks?

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a bunch of G42's and G30's. The G42's definitely use batteries noticeably quicker especially this time of year. Both have acceptable battery life though and I use the different models for different things. For comparison, I just replaced all of my cam batteries about two weeks ago and the G42's are in the 70-80% range while my G30's are still reading 90-100%.

I have also noticed that when the G42's get below 50%, they will sometimes have a tough time taking night pics. This is more frequent when it's cold. I'm guessing it's all those LED's require a lot of juice to fire. I know in speaking with a bunch of guys that are using these cams that they run almost flawlessly on lithiums, I haven't bitten the bullet to use them in the past but I'll be doing so for my 2017 season. I'll likely be able to check cams on my most distant farms a lot less this upcoming year so it's critical they have juice for long periods of time.

Best deals I've seen on lithiums are on Amazon and ebay. You can get get them in the $1.25-$1.50 per range if you bulk packs and look around for the best deals.

3. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input guys! I did actually purchase 8 lithium batteries and will be trying them out this weekend. I'll give an update on what I find out. :tu:

4. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You will notice a difference using Lithium, my cams usually last around 2 to 3 months depending on how active they are.

5. P&YChaser

P&YChaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree that you'll see a difference using the lithiums. I have a few G42s that we've been running the last 2 years and they consistently get 2-3 months with the lithiums with no problems taking night time pictures. Last time I put batteries in was mid October and I went up last weekend to check and most of the cameras were still at 60% battery or better.

6. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    I set my G42 up this past Saturday with lithium's. I'll check it in a couple weeks to see what the results are. We are getting some warmer temps in Wisco than what we were having so the camera should work really well. I'll keep everyone posted on what I find out. :tu:

7. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    Update on Stealth Cam:

About two weeks ago I tried out the lithium's. I had my cam set about 3 miles deep in the woods. This allowed me to stay away for a couple weeks. I put it to the 3 shot setting. The camera ended up taking a little over 900 pictures with 4 below being the coldest. When I checked it, it was at 86% battery life. Overall I would say I'm satisfied on how well the lithium's performed. :tu:

8. ruteger

ruteger Guest

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020