Stay Tined - Team 5 Thread

Discussion in '2017 Deer Contest' started by henson59, Aug 14, 2017.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got my buck this morning. Unfortunately, coyotes and vultures got to him first. There was nothing left
    But the head and neck. I am at work but I will try post a few pictures when I get home. I am guessing he will score around 115” I thought he was a little bigger when I shot. Unfortunately, the brow tines are tiny. Not sure if they will be big enough to count.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Excalibur

Excalibur Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey either easy congrats on getting a buck. It sucks that those damn coyotes got to him first. But congrats.

Shawn
    Jennings ProGold
    Easton FMJ 339 grains
    NAP Spitfire DoubleCross 100 grains
    2017 Team 3 Shed Hunting
    2017 Team 6 Turkey Hunting
    2017 Team 5 Deer Hunting

3. Excalibur

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you

Shawn
    Jennings ProGold
    Easton FMJ 339 grains
    2017 Team 3 Shed Hunting
    2017 Team 5 Deer Hunting

4. Excalibur

Dislikes Received:
    Keep dropping the deer guys, I'm living through you guys right now as it will be another week or two before i can get out.

Shawn
    Jennings ProGold
    Easton FMJ 339 grains
    2017 Team 3 Shed Hunting
    2017 Team 5 Deer Hunting

5. wibowhntr

wibowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you recovered your buck, but sucks that the critters found him first. I saw four does being followed by one buck today. Buddy if mine shot a buck, but we were unable to find any blood. Quartering to shot in front of the shoulder, didn't get a pass thru.

Sent from my XT1650 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

6. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I planned to go out today but I had to run an hour away to get a high limit switch then install it. Stupid house
    I have a good feeling about tomorrow The corn has been out a couple days and usually things heat up a little bit

7. overactor

overactor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The ohio deer hunting fb page has been chock full of monsters that were shot over the weekend, all chasing they say. I almost hit one with my ram 2500 its back even with my hood, I thought it was a horse so I swerved to miss it should have hit it.
    Any who finally got our wood boiler up and running, the drive way french drains pretty much ready for final #57 gravel and some wood split. I haven't been getting home early enough to get in a stand but I have been early enough to fill the wood stove to blend in with the nice smoke cover scent and get in the woods where I cut a spot for a blind. That I need to buy asap. I have been seeing the doe starting to come into the food plots more and to corn but the fields near my house are still standing, hopefully getting them cut will bring them and their bf's back through my place.

Shawn glad that everything is going well and I hope you have a speedy recovery. A friend of my wife just lost her husband to a massive group of some kind of tumor in his brain. He was in the military and they didnt catch it quick enough.

Excalibur likes this.
  8. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Here is the pictures of my buck. His width fooled me when I saw him. I thought he was a 8 point but the brows are so small that I think he will only count as 6. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  9. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Excalibur likes this.
  10. Excalibur

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks overactor. Just gotta get throu some physical therapy and i hope to be out in the wood in two weeks. That's my goal. Hopefully i won't miss the whole rut

Shawn
    Jennings ProGold
    Easton FMJ 339 grains
    2017 Team 3 Shed Hunting
    2017 Team 5 Deer Hunting

overactor likes this.
  11. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    @tc racing I missed your question about tagging this buck on the live from the stand thread. Yes, I tagged it. I believe that this is required by Arkansas Game and Fish regs because I found the deer and elected to keep the antlers. But I am not sure on that. I may check with AGFC to see if they will issue a replacement tag under the circumstances.

tc racing likes this.
  12. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just an update from me. I hunted a few times this past weekend and didn't see much but I also had trouble with this bad cold I have. I could not stop myself from coughing during the hunt.
    Headed back down to the farm Friday for an entire week. There is lots of rain in the forecast so looks like my rain suit will definitely get alot of use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

13. wibowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted a new piece of public land today. Sat for 7 hrs and saw 5 or so deer... nothing close enough to shoot. I had this guy at about 100 yards and got him to come about 20 yards closer with a snort wheeze, but then he remembered that he had a girlfriend and went back to her. Not sure if I would have shot him, but wanted a closer look to make that decision. Also included a pic if a rub that helped pic this location.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

cantexian and tc racing like this.
  14. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I knew Halloween was going to be good unfortunately I picked the wrong stand! My uncle shot two out of the other stand.
    Got the doe in the pull barn and have to get the buck in the morning the arrow and from what my uncle says he shouldn't have gone far. So I will be helping him drag that out and cut the deer up as we are heading to Michigann Thursday night.

Wont be able to hunt again until Monday hopefully the orange army doesn't shoot them all as opener is Sat

overactor likes this.
  15. wibowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats to your uncle! Minnesota is so messed up having their gun season during the rut. Wisconsin is bad enough catching the end of it. Lots if bucks are going to die in Wisconsin this year since the gun opener is on the 18th.

16. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    heading out mid morning to cross the river to my honey hole. should be drawing blood today. this spot has three apple trees that are the only ones still bearing fruit. it is absolutely tore up like a barnyard under them. kill time coming!

ex, big sigh of relief that prayers were answered. glad everything went well! now get back in a tree, we need points. lol

cantexian, zachd and wibowhntr like this.
  17. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good for me too we always split our meat. Good thing he is pulling his weight this year last year I shot 3 and he didn't shoot any.

The buck he shot is a little 6 pointer he normally wouldn't have taken it but he shot it in honor of the land owner. It is a couple farms down from ours . Those are the last 2 deer we will ever shoot on that property .

18. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    @wibowhntr That stand doesn't look that high up. How high were you? The cover is so sparse on the trees I hunt from in Arkansas. I would be busted long before I ever got a deer in range. Good luck in the honey hole @tc racing

overactor likes this.
  19. wibowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    It is only about 10' high. For me it is more about back cover and shot availability. Around me was fairly thick and at that height I had 3-4 good shot locations. If I went any higher I would have had maybe 1 or 2. On Sunday afternoon I had my stand set only a foot off the ground and had deer walk by at 10-15 yards.[​IMG]

20. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seen 5 bucks tonight and 0 does. Just can't win. It'll happen in the next couple of days.