Stay Tined - Team 5 Thread

Discussion in '2017 Deer Contest' started by henson59, Aug 14, 2017.

1. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Let's get it going!

Team -5
    overactor- Checked In
    Afflicted- Checked In
    cantexian- Checked In
    Excalibur- Checked In
    henson59- checked in
    ILL BUCK Jr- Checked In
    PaBowhunter- Checked In
    T-rob- Checked In
    tc racing- Checked In
    Trlblzr3- Checked In
    wibowhntr- Checked In
    zachd- Checked In

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    cantexian likes this.
  2. T-Rob

T-Rob Newb

Dislikes Received:
  3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in, looking forward to it! My name is Adam. This is my third year in the contest. I shouldn't have any trouble contributing a doe. Arkansas has a long season, Sept 23-end of February 2018. This year my two oldest boys are old enough to hunt. I will be taking them out a lot with a crossbow, hoping to get them their first deer. Hopefully, they will both get this done before the end of September because my third son is due October 8th. I probably won't be hunting at all during October after that, but I am hoping to be able to get during the rut once or twice which is typically November 10th-Thanksgiving. I killed my buck last year on November 12th.

Let's get it going!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  4. henson59

Dislikes Received:
    A little about me-

My name is Joe I live in East Central Illinois. I primarily hunt three different areas. The first is our families 207 acres property in Ohio Co. Indiana. I also hunt some small parcels here in my home county of Champaign and also down in Wayne Co. IL.

5. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm Andrew. Living in South Florida and hunt central Florida but may also be hunting Mississippi again this year.
    Damn glad to be here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. henson59

Dislikes Received:
    I am damn glad to have another Prime shooter on the team!

Afflicted likes this.
  7. Excalibur

Excalibur Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone, checking in. I'm Shawn from Ohio. I got two properties I hunt on in central Ohio. This is my first year on a team as I just missed it all last year. Looking forward to this contest, sounds like a lot of fun. It's good to meet everyone.

Shawn
    Excalibur Phoenix
    Carbon Express 380 grains
    Rage Hypodermic 125 grains
    Team 3 Shed Hunting
    Team 6 Turkey Hunting

Trlblzr3 and cantexian like this.
  8. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Zach from Minnesota checking in.
    I have 4 properties to hunt
    Our 80 acre farm that we planted beans this year
    40 acres an hour north the neighbor lets me hunt which is corn this year
    A mile down the road from my house there is a small public land tract that hardly anyone ever uses that runs along the Mississippi river and has a creek running through it.
    Then about 40 mins north of my house I have another awesome public land spot that is huge and I have never seen another soul where I hunt that. It is mostly swamp and you need hip waders to get to where I hunt on a little island surrounded by a cattail bog.

cantexian and Excalibur like this.
  9. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I have one property that I hunt in Arkansas. It is just under 400 acres that is bowhunting only. The north and west sides of the property are bordered by a state park that does not allow hunting in the park. The south side is bordered by a river. The river is wide and deep enough that boat is required to cross it. The east side is privately owned by people that do not hunt.

I typically stick to a 40 acre section that is a transition area on the west side where the deer come out of the park to feed in the food plots. This year the plots are clover and corn. I have hunted this section for about 8 years and have the deer really well patterned. There are two main trails that follow a north-south ridge and a east-west ridge in the transition area. I typically put out a ground blind along one trail and a tree stand on the other. I do not hunt directly on the food plots because they are too close to the houses on the property. Last year I took two does and a buck off the property. I have four tags that are good for this county and I am hoping to fill all of those plus get each of my boys a deer this year.

Excalibur likes this.
  10. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, overactor has been assigned to your team. I'll PM him and let him know to check in :tu:

cantexian and Afflicted like this.
  11. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Boonerific! That's the catchword for the contest this year. Mark it down, trademark pending. :cool:

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Afflicted likes this.
  12. henson59

Dislikes Received:
    I am actually in little rock on business this week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

13. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I live in Little Rock. What type of business do you do? Let me know if you need help finding anything around town.

14. henson59

Dislikes Received:
    Operations management for a healthcare company. Just thought it was funny the week I go to Ark I get a teammate from there.

overactor likes this.
  15. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I work at UAMS. Do you do contract work with them?

16. henson59

Dislikes Received:
    Possibly, I work more with our branches and their ops side of things so not quite sure.

17. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    If you get bored after work, check out Archer's Advantage. Its the best pro shop around

http://www.archers-advantage.net/location.html

18. overactor

overactor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys my name is Robbie I work in Columbus Ohio and live in Licking County Ohio just east of Heath/ Newark. I bought a house last October after moving up from NC where Ive lived the last 16 years at Fort Bragg. My house is in my own hollar just under 7 acres infested with doe. with a 50 acres farm that practices qdma, and an 18 acre wooded lot from a farm directly behind mine where the doe bed. They move from bed to my place all the time and are so used to me being out there that i can walk up about 10 feet from a few of them now.

Last fall I had a few that were very nice bucks already that should have blown up this year. And several 8 pointers, an 11 ect that were still a bit on the young side. They live up in a state park about a mile from my house that is several hundred acres with no hunting. I also have permission to hunt a sweet 1900 acre flower/nature preserve area that allows hunters in and assigns 100 acres blocks. about 5 miles from my house. We walk there often and see deer so no telling what I might see there.

Right now I have a 2 acres power line easement that I am going to till or disc and put in broadside blend, and an opening in the middle of the trees maybe a 30 yard circle where they come through from bedding to the power lines I am going to plant purple turnips and put a trophy rock in the middle as they have finally finished off the one from last year. My stand over looks both.

Sorry for the book, Ill update with some photos when I FB_IMG_1479273611872.jpg FB_IMG_1479273618619.jpg FB_IMG_1479273629032.jpg FB_IMG_1479273691318.jpg FB_IMG_1479273730076.jpg FB_IMG_1479325081248.jpg IMG_20161116_002736.jpg get home.

19. overactor

overactor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Quick funny tidbit. My number 1 buck right above was 20 feet from my back porch staring down my german shepherd, and my wife and I were about 100 yards directly behind him recovering the doe she shot. And he ate my halloween pumpkin

Afflicted and Excalibur like this.
  20. cantexian

Dislikes Received:

Looks like you have some good opportunities!

Excalibur likes this.