Standing beans

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by alfarah50, Dec 12, 2018.

1. alfarah50

alfarah50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How many acres of beans is enough to last the season? I have access to property that I can plant anything I’d like. There’s a few good spots where I can plant up to 2 acres of beans. Will this be enough to last throughout the season? I’ve planted plots before , is planting beans any different?

StanfillKY likes this.
  2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Really depends on what other food is around. If it’s a big woods area with no local ag and they are gonna focus on it all year it won’t be enough. If it’s surrounded by ag and will only get pounded after everything else gets harvested, then it should be ok. I did an acre last year in an area with a lot of ag and just had enough to make it through early January.

copperhead, Skywalker and StanfillKY like this.
  3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For me, 2 acres of standing beans is enough, but I live in ag country with 150 acres on my south fence, 200 acres on my north fence and 40 acres on my west fence, all in a crop rotation of corn and beans. Standing beans have been good for me in the late season after the farmers have harvested and we've had some harsh weather.

4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like Rick James and Skywalker said it depends on what food is available. If stuff is sparse and you become the primary food source for a decent sized herd they'll wipe them. But I will say it doesn't hurt to plant them if you can. If the deer mow then you can always replant in the fall with winter pea or over seed with oats, wheat and/or rye. The protein will help bucks develop antler and does with producing and supporting fawns. Beans are really never a bad idea to plant just have a plan B in your pocket.

You might also want to consider a mix of various clovers, chicory and alfalfa. Or better yet when you plant the beans after you cover them overseed with a clover mix and that way the beans can be a cover crop for the clover. If the beans get mowed you already have the clover growing which you can overseed with more clover in the fall.

5. dnoodles

dnoodles Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    we planted about 2 acres this year. Between the deer and turkey there wasn't a bean left by October. Not much deer-friendly ag in our area; they plant mostly potatoes and some alfafa-type stuff; no corn or beans nearby.

I agree w/ Copper, plant stuff that re-grows like clover.

6. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in farm land and have been planting corn and beans in a 2 acre plot for 6 years now. Since I'm the only one that doesn't harvest the crop the deer always find it and eat it all winter. I get the most bang for my buck with the beans. In late winter the beans will draw deer from all over the place.

dnoodles likes this.
  7. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I live in some of the best ag land in the world.
    Deer here have the best of the best. If it's a dry fall and farmers can roll, our crops come off at amazing speed.
    Once the fields are harvested, a 2 acre field of standing beans will be a heck of an attraction.
    That being said, it has to be in an area close to cover. And deer population play a big roll.