Stand Location

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by jsniezek, Sep 19, 2016.

1. jsniezek

jsniezek Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Deer are traveling on runs using a side hill as cover. They are moving horizontally along the hill. Would you put the stand to the uphill side of the run or bottom side of run?

2. Caade

Caade Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I typically would lean towards the uphill side just, you are higher above the deer which eliminates some sight and smell possibilities of the deer. However I would look at wind direction also and see if common winds put you on the wrong side of the trails.

3. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Both - the one on the downside would face away from the run though for the obvious reason that you will be harder to see at eye level.

4. BigHackAttack

BigHackAttack Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Typically, when you come across this scenario, the wind is blowing OVER the hilltop. This allows the BUCK to windcheck anything coming over the hill and visually look down the hill. My stand placement would be below the trail because Mr. Big will traveliing upwind of you. Keep your movement to a minimum and have cover!

BHA

5. slowmow24

slowmow24 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't agree more since I have this same issue going on and I have done exactly this. I have seen loads of deer coming from the bottom field up the ridge and turn to walk, of course the other direction, but still they can't wind you as easily.

6. jsniezek

jsniezek Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks - that is exactly what I did. I figured its better to use the wind and be on the low side.