Stand Help for 'New' Property

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by gltomp, Sep 4, 2014.

1. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a view of my cousin's property. I hunted it last year (my first time hunting there) w/o any success. I am bound by the red lines. There is no water on the property (albeit has an old well that is covered and dry).

The field outside the boundary to the west is planted every other year with field corn. The only other crop (again, corn) is located to the southwest across the road (yearly).

The lowest point of the property is 1075' (southwest corner); the highest is 1256' (northeast corner).

The upper field is 75 yds wide x 230 yds long. The Apple Tree field is 94 yds wide x 300 yds long. The bottom white line is an old tractor road that leads to the upper field. The other white lines are deer trails I have found.

I have to park my truck across from the house about 25 yards off the road into the apple tree field.

NOTE: The wind blows primarily from the North and the West. There are no crops grown on this property. The fields are mowed each year for their hay... but produce no crops. Also, my cousin has no desire to plant crops at this time (although I'm trying to persuade him to plant a food plot near the tree stand on the north end of the upper field).

Could some of you guys that can read a map better than I suggest some better spots for me to place a stand? I look forward to your suggestions and input.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Considering the circumstances listed, looks okay to me. At the intersection of the two upper trails, I'd shovel out a good sized hole and line it with heavy black plastic and make a water hole. I'd place one more stand at field edge where the trail comes out to the field...just off the trail.

3. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    THAT just might be doable! I think my cousin would allow me to do that (make a water hole). I was thinking of setting a stand near the point of the apple-tree field twix the field and the deer path. However with the wind mainly coming from the north... I like your idea better... of setting one (more than likely) to the south of the path entering the field. That way I could cover both trails - thanks!