Stance...

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by BowHuntingFool, May 14, 2009.

1. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After watching the MBB-III dvd that Jeff sent me, I tried a couple of things like slightly opening up my stance. I gotta tell ya this was a huge plus for me and my shooting. Do you guys ever really look at your stance or just shoot what ever?

2. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My stance means allot. I try keeping my legs parallel with my shoulders but It doesn't always work out that way when your hunting. I can shoot pretty much In any stance but I do shoot better when my legs are parallel with my shoulders and are about the same width apart.

3. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I never paid THAT much attention to stance because I figured out in the woods, I'm never going to have that situation so why bother.

Am I mistaken in thinking this?

4. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I tried closed stance and it did not agree with me at all , so i switched to open and showed a marked improvement straight away . That MBB3 dvd is a real help guys , i don't suffer with the mantitties as Denny Sturgiss Jnr put it :d .

5. BobCo19-65

BobCo19-65 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone ever try the Asbell hunting stance which is completely open facing the target? Now there is one that I won't even attempt. Personally I prefer the closed stance.

6. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have a picture of that stance Bob?

7. BobCo19-65

BobCo19-65 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He had an article in TBM a few months back on it, it had pictures. I'll see if I can find it and scan it for you (next week). Basically he twists his torso to get his shoulders in alignment, but his feet are pointed directly at the target. His reasoning is less movement...I'm not sure I buy into that though.

8. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    I know exactly what your talking about now. I've used that stance on at least 1/2 of my animals that I've shot. It works real well on close shots when your way up in the tree. I'll shoot with the bow right In between my legs.

9. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I stand and shoot its open.. but I doubt I will hunt much standing because I don't plan on hunting out of a stand with my traditional bow, instead all ground hunting.. so I practice off of one knee all the time. Right knee down, left up or I shoot off of both knees down.

10. Burnie

Burnie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree stance is important, but I like to practice in different positions. I have never shot a deer while standing. It is always setting or kneeling. Heck, ive even shot while setting and turned backwards. Ive never target shot, so all my practice is strickly for hunting. The only time I can recall shooting from a stand is fishing, or rabbit hunting. Well, ive shot a few hogs while standing. They are kind of blind and you can get by with standing next to a tree. Deer wont afford you such a shot.

11. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Asbell stance and it has served me well for many years. I was at Trad night at Gander Mt. one night and there was a guy there that shot what I would call an exagerated Asbell stance, he was very bent over. At 20 yrd, shooting a homemade selfbow and river cane arrows he was breaking his nocks, six arrows, all feathers touching in a group. He could do this almost every round.

12. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Jeff, your right, that is my stance! I said it wrong.. :confused: sorry

laughing here, my kids are wondering why I am on the floor of my office holding a yardstick like I am shooting my bow.. yeah its my right knee thats up. well at least I think it is.. now I am gonna have to go home and shoot, I always just do it naturally and dont think about it... LOL pretty sure your right though..