Stan JustX and Scott Sigma

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Jeepwillys, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm upgrading to a thumb release. I just got from Lancaster Archery, 5 releases. I wanted to test out the Stan JustX so I ordered it in L and XL 3 and 4 finger. I also ordered the Scott Sigma. The Sigma is Scotts latest line in their Thumb trigger release.

The Scott has a good feel to it. It only comes in one size and a 3 finger configuration. It feels solid in the hand, though its light. Very well polished, no sharp edges, and has a good look with the contoured grip on both sides of the release, along with the dual color. Matte Black on one side Matte Grey on the other. The post and the barrel are very adjustable to allow you to find that right position for it. People have mentioned to me that Scott runs a bit small on their Thumb releases. I didn't find this true with the Sigma. It was actually quite roomy comparable to the Stan XL Just X.
    As for the mechanism, however, it left something to be desired. To start, Cocking the release took a good amount of pressure to do so. There is no leverage in doing this. You're basically pushing straight in on a very knurled button that is backed by a very heavy spring. Once cocked, to lock the jaw, you have to remove your Index finger from the release, basically letting it go loose in your hand, so you could position your thumb or index finger to close the jaw over your D-loop. The space in between the jaw and release is very shallow. When closed it actually pinched down on my D-loop. I found that using my thumb to close it was the best option. The draw felt smooth and allowed my hand to fall into place on my jaw. The trigger has a slight bit of travel and I mean slight. It did achieve a surprise release, but the action is very audible, not only is the click of the sear loud but when released the string kicks the jaw open for a second loud click.

The Stan JustX. The release is very light. All black except for the trade mark ball on the release. Super polished with a high gloss finish. The larges fit snugly around my fingers. The XL's had a slight bit of room. The post and barrel are also very adjustable to achieve the desired fit.
    The mechanism. They definitely lived up to their reputation. The cocking lever is very light, just enough tension to accomplish the task. I'm guessing the leverage of the button achieves this feel. Since there isn't a loop for the index finger, once the release is cocked you just slide your index finger over to close the jaw on the loop. You don't get the feeling of not having control of the release and your attention is not divided. All styles felt smooth in the draw and also settled nicely on my jaw line. The surprise release was also achieved. It has a very crisp trigger with no travel. It is a lot less audible than the Scott Sigma. One other thing, the stationary jaw is removable, so that you can just use the jaw as a hook style if desired. They definitely lived up to their reputation, and is a very impressive release.

Both releases are also adjustable in their trigger weights. Down to a hair trigger.

I've narrowed my decision down to the Stan JustX Larges. The size is just snug enough that when my hand is relaxed it doesn't fall off with out persuasion. Not stuck on my hand, just hanging there. I like the thought of that come winter time when I'll have a slight bit less sensitivity because of the Temp. I don't generally wear gloves on my release hand. So to me that is not a factor but something for others to consider when choosing a size. With the 4 finger, I find that my hand rotates a little more when you using back tension but not enough to be a huge factor. I'm actually having a hard time deciding between the two. I'm thinking of going with the 4 finger, because I'll have the option of using 3 fingers if I want that option.
    For those of you considering Stan. For size comparison, my ring finger is a size 11. I hope this might help someone thats looking into thumb releases.

Any one that has any suggestions on these releases, please feel free to chime in. I'm gonna break the party up Monday and send 4 of them back home.

2. Shooterguy24

Shooterguy24 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm loyal to scott they have never failed me

3. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. I've shot a little bitty goose for the past 10 years or so. Great release that never failed me either. I just wanted to switch to a thumb release and this is what I noted.