squeaky stand .. any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by 2xlung5h0t, Dec 1, 2011.

1. 2xlung5h0t

2xlung5h0t Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a really squeaky hang on stand. It really only squeaks right when I step on it, but GOD is it loud! Aside buying a Lone Wolf, does anyone have any suggestions? Would a little grease help at all?

Thanks!

2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had the same problem with a ladder stand. I took all the bolts out of it and put nylon washers on everything. Then I bought a can of undercoating and sprayed it on every place where metal touched metal. If it is the grate on the base of your stand, I'm not sure what you could do about that. I have found over the years that aluminum stands seem to make alot of noise as it gets colder. The steel ones don't seem to be as bad.

Blessings........Pastorjim

3. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You stole my suggestion.......go buy a Lone Wolf. These really are worth the coin.

However, I've never had a problem with my Gorilla stands.

4. lamboicon

lamboicon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When it's really cold I will take a rubber floor mate and put it one the base of the stand. It helps keep cold air from going up the legs of your pants and also keep noise down.

5. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 of the steal ones ones that were purchased in the last year and they have all nylon washers. I haven't had a problem with squeaky stands yet. Try the washers especially where the wires conect.

6. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Like others said, nylon washers. Or, if you know right where it is, vegetable oil.....it won't have a scent that alarms deer like other lubricants.

7. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Squeaking = Metal on metal. Probably a good idea to take everything apart anyways and see if any damage has been done.

8. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure your bolts aren't over tightened - I've had that cause some squeaking on cheaper stands.

Then depending on the design of the Stands I have used a tube of cheap silicon and caulked any suspect joints/areas...

9. Drop_Tine5214

Drop_Tine5214 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had problems with my stands creaking before, took everything apart to find out that it was actually the ratchet straps stretching that was making the noise. I have had the rubber on the ratchet strap hooks rub against the stands when I shifted my weight make the noise too.

10. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Silicon grease works great as would new hardware and I agree that you should make sure it's not the ratchet straps. If you are using them, they should be replaced frequently as they do tear. I prefer 3/16 Close Link Chain on mine but I build my own stands.

11. Hoyt Bone Collector

Hoyt Bone Collector Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    During the non hunting season, you should take your stand apart and spray with rubberized spray paint(it's called undercoating). I have never had to use it on a stand but I used it on similar metal to metal sqeaking issues and it made a huge difference and if you spray on your standing platform it will act as a vibration dampner if you were to drop something.

12. 2xlung5h0t

2xlung5h0t Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I appreciate all of the help and suggestions! I think when I pull this set down this weekend I'll spray some undercoating on it and switch out the ratchet straps also! The stand is one of my cheap $30 sportsmans guide stands and I'm using the supplied ratchet straps so I'm sure they need some replacing!

Once again, THANKS!

13. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Dan on the vegetable oil. I have had good luck with it. I have also used graphite with good success. Sometimes a ratchet strap will really squeak against the tree if it has been in place for a while. If that is the case, you can always make a small adjustment.

14. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Please make sure to check the load rating of those straps... some of them are not rated very high and your stand does become a lever when you are standing on it. I have seen some rated at only 100 pounds or so. Also some of the cheaper straps corrode really quickly so be careful.

15. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    2xlung5h0t
    90% it's a loose weld on the platform and needs to be respot welded. An easy fix, I do this after every season. If it happens there usaly there is no short term fix, specially when the cold comes, the steel shrinks and then your done till the fix is repaired.Good luk with it.
    Rocky