Spring/Summer food plot

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by okie ben, May 7, 2013.

1. okie ben

okie ben Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im new to planting food plots. About a month ago I planted a 1/4 plot of soybeans, lab-lab, cowpeas, oats, alfalfa, winter peas, and forage rape. When should i till and plant my fall plot, or should I wait to replant next spring?

2. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I may just be confused but your already ready to plant your fall plot? Did your spring/summer one even come up yet?

I know that my fall one isnt bein planted till early to mid August as i just now planted my spring/summer plot.
    Like i said im kind of confused on what your asking

3. okie ben

okie ben Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry about the confusion....The plot is coming up great. The oats are about 8 inches high and soy beans about 6. The other seeds are just barley coming out. Was wondering when it came time to plant fall plots, if I should disk up and plant (if so when), or should I let the mixture I planted stay through out the fall and winter.

4. Fuzz_27

Dislikes Received:
    Im no professional but id say wait till you were ready to plant your fall plot an till all of it under. Do some seedbed prep an then plant your fall plot giving it time to be able to be ready for your season opener.

If im wrong, please someone correct me. Im new to the whole food plot game myself!

5. okie ben

okie ben Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input.

6. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Many different options when it comes to food plotting.
    That is alot of different things going on in one plot. Which is a good thing. I personally would wait till end of July and see what it does and make your decision and here is why-
    Beans will get grazed on if not wiped out(depending on your deer herd). lab-lab- I have never planted that or cowpeas but my quess is them and the beans will shade out the alfalfa and rape. Oats will head out and reseed itself and come up again possibly. alfalfa-tough to get going. winter peas-grows fast and will do good with the beans/cowpeas., and forage rape- if planted now in ideal conditions it will get tall and be a great late season draw for a little bit before it gets wiped out.

Any chance you could post a picture up of the plot? Is this a "first time plot" on this ground or has it been worked up before? What was your planting method? Them questions will have some bearing on going forward.

I personally have a 1/4 acre plot that will be in a mix with two kinds of soybeans,buckwheat,peas and sunflowers for the summer. I will till that under end of July for a planting of Winter rye/peas and cultipack that down and broadcast some brassicas, little bit of clover over the top. Cant beat it for a fall planting. (in Wisconsin we normally do fall plantings Mid-July to Labor day depending on what you are planting)

So like I said, many ways of going about putting in a plot.

7. okie ben

okie ben Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It will be this weekend before I can get some pics. This past fall i was able to get a light disking on the area and planted winter wheat. It did decent. Abount two months ago, I started disking again, got a good 5 to 6 inch deep disk. I then applied 25 lbs of 10-10-10 fertilizer. Two weeks later I seeded and put another 25lbs of fertilizer down (raked the seeds in). That was about a month ago. Ill be sure to get some pics posted ater the weekend. Thanks for the info.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  8. okie ben

okie ben Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here are some pics of my food plot. IMG_20130510_190502.jpg IMG_20130510_190511.jpg IMG_20130510_190850.jpg

9. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got some shot plot in the ground yesterday...hope it will do well.

10. Fuzz_27

Dislikes Received:
  11. okie ben

okie ben Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks!! Its almost double in height in the past week!

12. okie ben

okie ben Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im sure it will. Good luck!

13. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    looks good.