Spring food plot

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by denverd1, Apr 30, 2013.

1. denverd1

denverd1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Whats up bowhunters. Looking to do a spring food plot to help those young fawns and the entire herd get the nutrition it needs. Hunting in East Texas. Temps are currently in the 80s/high 60s at night. I'd rather go to the feed store and buy some seed instead of paying $10 for a few pounds of something at Academy. I've seen frigid forage recommended on here. just curious what you guys think

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Soil tested? Big step in making the plot flourish no matter what you plant. Test, fertilize/lime as directed and then plant. :) I like buckwheat/oats and such for spring in my small plots...all depends what grows well and if you need nitrogen fixing or using in your soil looking forward into fall plantings if you are doing any?

3. denverd1

denverd1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    good point. no I haven't tested. I was trying to plant a hybrid of things that will sprout right now and with some clover or rye that will germinate in the fall. Hoping to get everything done before it gets too hot (almost too late) then stay out of the woods until bow season.

4. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    You can still plant a collection of stuff like you said, but I'd do soil test asap and do it right if money allows. You will reap the benefits of your labor.

5. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't plant anything without a soil test. You are throwing money away in my opinion if you plant without a soil test.

6. Northwoods Whitetails

Northwoods Whitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Other than beans or buckwheat, I am not a fan of planting anything in the spring. Especially after lasts years drought. Not quite sure how the conditions are down in Texas, but I plant our clover with cereal grains in the fall. As well as brassicas at the end of July. Maybe plant beans and late summer you can over seed with rye/oats/wheat.

7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Clover/Chicory both will establish better if planted in the cooler temps of the fall like you said. Only way I'll do clover in the spring is frost seeded typically or as an experiment, but best results for us have always been in the fall as well.