Spray and seed same day???

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Chago, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is it possible to spray and seed on the same day? I have a plot mowed down. Wanted to spray and seed in one day. Is that possible?

2. Northwoods Whitetails

Northwoods Whitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, as long as your refering to round up/glyphosate. I have done it many times.

3. Applehinge

Applehinge Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on what you are spraying. I personally hate spraying round up or any weed killer, i just rototill it up and plant the seed, i get the occasional weed here or there but i feel like it is better for the soil not to spray.

4. ChrisSchwarz

ChrisSchwarz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure what ever you are spraying is dry. Once dry it will not kill anything else that comes in contact with it.

5. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like to wait two days. I'm actually gonna spray today and plant 5 plots on Saturday.

6. bluecollaroutdoors

bluecollaroutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    2013-07-07 12.09.02.jpg I sprayed right over the top (after seeding) on all my clover, alfalfa, brassicas and strips of eqyptian wheat this year and they are all growing gangbusters.
    Glysophate, the active ingredient in Roundup only attacks living plants. If you are no tilling you are killing everything else and giving your seeds a headstart as they will start to grow while the rest of the junk is slowly dying.

I do this for all small seeds now. I still till, broadcast, lightly scratch then spray.
    The plot in the picture is oats, clover and alfalfa. We disced it in may to get rid of the leaves, then sprayed it a month later.
    Planted it around June 1 by lightly scratching the surface after broadcasting oats, then the clover and alfalfa. I then sprayed right over the top with Roundup and we never packed it at all. It rained 2 days later and we let that push the seeds into the soil.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  7. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Gly will only kill live plants and will only effect plants for the first few hours after being sprayed. It will not effect un-germinated seeds.

8. Crimedog40

Crimedog40 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you have the equipment to no till a food plot it might be the best thing to do this time of year for a couple reasons. One it conserves moisture. Most yrs it is tough to get a good rain this time of year. Second thing is unless you are going to spray a residuel which is very tough when planting a food plot because of the different mixture of seeds in a plot. When u stir up the soil with a disc or cultivator it stirs up ungerminated weed seed and gives them soil contact and allows them to germ. Also when burning down a food plot i would recommend doing it before planting the food plot. Running over a weed,mowing or damaging a weed puts that plant into defense mode making it harder to kill. Then if you go right back over it and spray sometimes you don't have the best of luck. One thing to keep in mind is that there are several weeds that are getting Rup resistance marestail and waterhemp to name a couple in this case it might be better to work up the whole plot and start with a fresh seed bed. Not telling anyone how to plant their plot just some things to keep in mind when headed out this late summer to get those fall plots in.