Sportsmanship in Deerhunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Stikman, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Stikman

Stikman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you consider yourself a true "Sportsman" in this day and age of strict rules, regulations, programs and agendas we must endure to hunt deer??? A "Sportsman" is someone that strides towards fairness and honesty above and beyond what is written in regulation pamphlets. We follow the rules, but we also treat creation with the utmost respect and don't kill for sport. We take only what we can use and leave the rest just as our fathers and grandfathers(uncle's, friend's dads, etc) have passed on to us. Is this an old fashioned way of approaching a sport we call Deer Hunting?

2. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like most of us here.

3. NebraskaDeerKilln

NebraskaDeerKilln Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I still cant see hunting being anything but conservation. Calling it a sport promotes competion and a salary. If thats the case i need a new agent.

4. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I consider myself a good man.. and that's all I care about.

I only take what I can eat.. except with yotes.. which is skewed and distorted I know.. and I'm dealing with that hypocracy one day at a time... but at least I recognize it.

5. spinnerbug

spinnerbug Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't agree more! It is the only way to approach Deer hunting, and for that matter, hunting in general!
    People often talk about being a true Sportsman but have a hard time living it-They have to work at it.
    The more they try, the better off we all are.

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Every deer hunter I know respects the animals they hunt, the land they hunt on and are good people. Only non-hunters have such negative opinions about a skill set that not many people possess. I tell people all the time about how serene hunting is. To hear the woods come alive early in the morning is such a MAGNIFICIENT thing. Only a blessed few of us know what that is like. The bond we share (especially Bowhunters)with each other is like nothing else. We get up close and personal with animals who have no clue we are there. That is a seat I would pay to have!

7. Stikman

Stikman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    God Bless You! Very well stated.

8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you aren't conservation minded or an honest sportsman in my opinion you don't belong in the woods. Only exception would be if your family seriously needs meat you kill to survive.