Spine/ Rest/ Paper Tune Questions

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Jordan86, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Jordan86

Jordan86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't want to have to ask for help but I'm having some problems. I just had my whisker biscuit switched out for a QAD Ultra HDX, at a shop since I didn't trust myself to do it. Well, the guy just eyeballed it to set up center shot. Could have done that myself I guess. Anyway, shot it at the shop and it hit to the right about 6-7 inches consistently. He adjusted the sights because he said they should sit over a little further anyway. (I'm thinking it was dead on before the rest was switched, but I'm new so ok.) Then it still shot right, so he moved the rest right. It helped but not perfect. I was tired of dealing with this guy, so I left and tried to paper tune at home. Paper tune bare shaft reveals a right to left tear. I also had him increase my draw weight to 59.5lbs. (It was set at 57 last time I checked but he said it was 53 today before I asked him to crank it up.) Now I am thinking I introduced too many variables at once. According to the carbon express adjusted draw weight calculator I should have a couple more pounds before I have to get a stiffer arrow.

Here is my current set up:
    Mission Venture 28" @ 59#
    QAD Ultra HDX
    Carbon Express Pile Driver 250 (spine .402) Arrow length is exactly 27.75"
    100 gr tip

Should I try to adjust out the tear by moving my rest, or start by lowering my draw weight back down? I don't really want to get arrows and was hoping to shoot towards the top end of the arrows I have. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  2. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First, need to make sure your arrow is level and center shot is set correctly. I guess you don't live close to me? Crossville,Tn. If so I can help you out.

Sent from my XT830C

3. Jordan86

Jordan86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks bootlegger, but I'm about 10+ hours away.

4. Jordan86

Jordan86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So searched around and read about French tuning. I tried that and got my arrow splitting a string at 3 and 9 yards. I've still got a right to left tear. A bare shaft at 10yds is pointing to the left too. The only variable I havn't checked is the draw weight. I was told it was set at 59.8 lbs... But from what I've read I'm showing under spined arrows. Anyone have any pointers?