Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

SPENDING TOO MUCH FOR A XBOW WONT MAKE YOU A BETTER HUNTER

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by HuntingWesternMass1, Aug 4, 2023.

1. HuntingWesternMass1

HuntingWesternMass1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Been a while since I've dropped in to visit the good folks at bow hunting.com Love the site and should be here more often.
    Anyways, just wanted to talk to my fellow hunters about my experience with crossbows. I have owned many crossbows over the years, never spent over $1000, but I've owned several in the half k range and up.
    But the best xbow I ever owned, and killed the most deer with, was right around $200. I'm fact, I think it was less because I got lucky and ended up with the last one at ****'s, the floor model, and paid like $180. It was the Barnett Quad, with a scope. That xbow was amazing. It was lightweight, and compact. This made it easy to maneuver through laurels and brush, and with a sling I'd carry it all day, no prob.
    It was very accurate, up to 50 yds, although the majority of my shots were at 30-35 yds, maybe one a tad over 40. And using the red head Rage, with the correct Headhunter bolts, it would blow right through a deer no problem.
    I now use a Barnett Whitetail II Pro STR, a gift from my Pops. It's a great bow, but I still remember the days of my Barnett Quad quite fondly.
    Last note, when I did have an issue, (dropped it out of my stand, what I considered normal wear and tear) I took it to my local Pro shop. Everyone says they have problems with Barnett customer service, but the provided me with a new riser, two new sets of strings, and it was fixed free of charge. Like new. My point is, you don't need to spend a grand, or even much less on a good crossbow. Yea, the Whitetail II has its issues, the quiver sucks, but at less than $400, it's as high quality as I need. Let's be real, as hunters we do not set up on deer to take a 60+ yard shot. Not only unnecessary but unethical. I'm not saying there aren't situations where, with a tripod, in a blind, across a field, that shot couldn't be taken. It's.just not my thing.
    And that's my story for today. Comments welcome.

2. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I read the title of this thread three times, and it wasn’t until the third time I realized it didn’t say XBOX. I was thinking “how much did this guy overpay for an Xbox, he seems upset about it”.

Anyway, my coworker found this out with expensive shotguns. $2k benelli he couldn’t get to pattern for turkey hunting. Went back to the 870 instead

packinaglock likes this.
  3. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The upper end crossbows are nice and shot well. I enjoy hunting with sub $300 crossbows. I have a Barnett XP380 and a KI360 I use for back up. Neither bow was over $300. I have shot plenty of deer and last year I used it on a successful elk hunt. I do sight it in to 50 yards. My longest shot was this year’s mule deer at 41 yards.