South Carolina Hunters

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Matthew Bolt, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Matthew Bolt

Matthew Bolt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any SC deer hunters out there? What is the rut activity looking like in your area? I've been out of town in NC for work for a few weeks (missing the best part of the season). Curious if the deer are still chasing for the most part or have began lockdown or what.... Planning on getting back in the stand this weekend. Thanks, and good luck to y'all!

w33kender likes this.
  2. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's been really slow for me but my wife killed a nice eight with her gun on 10/14; he was scent-checking at a nice pace and she grunted him to a stop and put a round in his neck. Ker-FLOP. She almost got a pig last week, but his cohort chased him back into the briars.

I've seen three deer in six hunts, all does. But we're not baiting this year, so it's been a little slow.

But there have been huge deer killed in the state this fall. Saw a picture from Horry County last week that looks like a booner [killed with a gun] and one from Belton that was a beast, too.

Attached is the Horry County buck. I do not personally know the hunter and it was a rifle kill. But still....absolute brute of a deer for anywhere, let alone SC's coastal plain.

Attached Files:

Matthew Bolt likes this.
  3. archer8030

archer8030 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt in Fairfield County and I believe we're in the "lock down" phase where we hunt. We were seeing a bunch of bucks on their feet during the day and a lot of chasing over the last 2 weeks but now it's gone quiet. Trail cameras aren't picking up much and sightings have dropped off immensely. It shouldn't be too much longer before we start seeing them again. If it's anything like last year, I'm expecting the secondary rut to fire up in about 3 weeks. We'll see.

Matthew Bolt likes this.