Sony's 4K AX100 or Canon XA20

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by RamboRinn, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think you can get the XA20 for $1999 anywhere these days. Campbell's Cameras, B&H Photo, Adorama all have it for that price. I would recommend purchasing it from a licensed dealer as opposed to Amazon(unless the sell is a dealer and just sells through Amazon).

2. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got bit by that same situation. I convinced myself that tape was better from an archiving stand point (and to a degree it still is) so I hung onto that technology too long. By the time I woke up and went to solid state (last summer), no one wanted a tape based camera anymore. I took a HUGE loss on a great XHA1 camera that is still painful to think about. That thing shot incredible footage. The tapes just ended up being such a pain when it came to capturing to the PC and the occasional dropped frame.

I recall guys telling me when I bought my first HD camera that I was nuts because SD was still so good and that SD television would be around for a long while. Youtube didn't even support HD back then. It seemed like over night the world went to HD though and those guys could not pay people to take their old Canon GL2's off of their hands.

I know that 4k is the future, but something in my gut tells me it is a ways off from becoming the standard in TV's and internet video. I could be wrong though.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I totally agree that there won't be any overnight shift from HD to 4K, but we will eventually be there. To me, the biggest benefit is being able to change framing in post when you are down converting. Especially for self filmers, that's just an awesome option. Not to mention the camera has a 12X optical zoom So if your shooting in 4K, then down converting you can turn that into an even tighter zoom that still holds that sharpness and image quality. From my understanding the 24X clear image zoom also very impressive for not being optical zoom, I just don't know how it would hold up in post if you try and crop in tight. Either way, I'd rather have the option and not use it than not have the option at all.