Sony A6500 ... my new hunting camera

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by DEC, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That particular lens is the Sigma 50-500 in combination with a Sony LA-EA3 adapter. Not a great low light combo but lots of reach.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting thread. I'm getting into writing and photography. Your photos are outstanding. DOF is awesome! I'm a bit critical of photos now and see that your new outfit is first class- brilliant colors and crisp detail. Thanks for sharing.
    BTW, my oldest granddaughter got her dad's camera. We bought her a tripod for Christmas. We need to get out together and learn together. BTW, ordered a waterproof camera, due this Saturday.

DEC and BowhuntOnly like this.
  3. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have now been running this camera for 2 1/2 years. I still could not be happier with it. Tons of video content on my youtube channel ... New Day Outdoors. Photos with it have been crazy good. I now have a variety of lenses too. 18-105 f/4, 50 f/1.8, 16 f1.8, and 30 f/1.4. I also have an A6000 with the kit 16-50 f/3.5-5.6 which is a decent setup for the money.

Some recent photos with the A6500

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hoff1ck likes this.
  4. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  5. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  6. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Excellent photos. The one with the lady at the tunnel- Great Smoky Mountains NP?

7. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, that is my youngest daughter, when we went to the Smokies last October.

8. SoIndianaBowhunter

SoIndianaBowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:

I just bought a Sony a6500 as my first hunting camera so this post is teaching me a lot. How did you run the cell phone as a monitor? I have a couple old iPhones I could probably use. I was looking at the feelworld monitor but this would save me some money and get me through my first season self filming. Also can you use the Sony remote if you use your phone as a monitor? Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  9. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You cannot use a smart phone as a true monitor. You can use the smart phone as a remote with live view via the wifi, but it is not practical for hunting.

Get a Feelworld monitor. They are worth it and probably the best bang for the buck.

10. Chickenplucker

Chickenplucker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for this thread I just bought a A6300. Prior to this I'm very basic filming hunt using gam in virb, Akaso v50 and an Panasonic video camera. I'm new to high end cameras like this or taking high quality photos. But I'm looking forward to getting into it. This thread has explained a lot. Gave me some good starting points to google some of phrases and what some setting guys are talking about even mean. Plus detailed setting and info geared towards filming hunts. So thank you.

I have one question why film in 1080p @60fps and edit in a 1080p @30fps timeline or 4k @30 fps edit in 1080p @ 30fps? I know way around Premier Pro and after effects but I obviously missing something as always try match camera setting. I understand a little bit of why changing setting in light then back after dusk or dawn. I'm learning a lot.

11. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Standard TV broadcast is at 30 fps and movies are at 24 fps (with a few exceptions). Our eyes are accustomed to the way certain frame rates look. Whenever I watch a 60 fps video on youtube I want to pull my eyes out of my head. It looks to soap opera-ish to me. For the past year or so I have been working with a 24 fps timeline for my videos. It just feels better to watch in my opinion.

As to why shooting at 60 fps though, first of all, you can drop that directly into a 30 or 24 timeline and notice no loss. But even better is that in an action shot you can slow a 60 fps clip by 50% in a 30 fps timeline or to 40% in a 24 fps timeline and have butter smooth lossless slow motion. I do a lot of my work at 60 fps slowed to 40% in a 24 fps timeline. I just like the look of it.

12. Chickenplucker

Chickenplucker Newb

Dislikes Received:

Makes total sense now thank you very much. Again I'm learning alot. I've been taking alot of pictures just around house getting use to setting and watching YouTube videos on tips and tricks. I've yet to test video recording yet. I've just got the 16-50mm 3.5-5.6 OSS LENS now. I'm try to save up look for a good deal on eBay for a 18-105.