Sometimes you just have to hunt

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by englum_06, Aug 7, 2014.

1. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Spawning from the other thread about cover versus wind... Sometimes I don't think there is an answer.

You just have to hunt

Below is my primary farm. My access is only from under the little "g" in the Google Earth logo. All that timber that I can hunt is nasty, scrubby brush, briars, and dead falls. Deer literally bed and feed anywhere, any given time. Generally, they bed all along the edges of the fields in the cover because it's so thick. It makes accessing a pain.

When I began to hunt this farm seriously, I was told I was hunting it wrong. I was told to only hunt it on a South wind, which makes perfect sense given my access. But anywhere I sit there, a south wind is blowing into a bedding area somewhere. I was told that if I hunt it on a North wind, I would screw it up. Maybe so. I see their reason, but how often do we get South winds during November? Not only that, but a South wind is horrible for almost and spot out there- there's a few exceptions.

My question is, how do you hunt this farm? No wind is a good wind. Obviously I try to play it smart and utilize the wind to go to stands where I think deer are less likely to bust me from, but that usually ends up not working out because they come from any direction. More than once I've killed deer that came from the wrong direction. It gets frustrating, but sometimes I think you have to take your chances and just hunt. It pays off sometimes. I killed Muley on NW wind. I believe that 4 of the 5 bucks I've killed on this farm, have been during a W or NW wind.

I'm not saying throw caution to the wind. I'm just saying that sometimes we have to risk it. Sometimes the perfect wind is almost the dead wrong wind. Sometimes you just gotta get lucky.

See if you guys can find me the perfect spot with the perfect wind. I have a couple very good options but, buy curious to see what you guys say.

View attachment 48921

2. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would but I'm getting a message that says invalid attachment see administrator

3. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received: