Soil prep routine

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by atlasman, Jun 16, 2021.

1. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just trying to eliminate some variables from possible negatives we have been doing recently.

We have always sprayed and waited about 10 days and then ran a disc the day we plant…….spread fertilizer and seed and then drag roller behind ATV.

This year we have a tiller so we are wondering a couple things.

Should we till and then wait a week or two then spray and wait again then plant as usual spreading fert and seed same day.

Or should we spread and till in fertilizer then do the above.

Or some other combo of the above?

Also do you think our roller is hurting us? It’s just a huge roll of cement….no ridges or grooves like a cultipacker but does a nice job firming up soil and I THINK improves our soil to seed contact for the most part.

I also have a barrow rake I could use

2. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used a 6ft pto rototiller a few years back. Sprayed and then two weeks later I brushhogged the plot, spread fertilizer and soil sulfur (had a ph of 8) and tilled it in. Broadcast seed and rolled it with my old repurposed hot water tank. Strongly suggest rolling it when tilled, drag a harrow across it when disced. If you are planting beans or any large seed I do suggest rigging your drag harrow behind the tiller, it has been my experience that it does help with getting larger seed to a better plant depth, 1-1 1/2".

Fix and oldnotdead like this.
  3. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You never mentioned the seed being planted... That makes a huge difference when deciding prep work and planting for that matter. I won't roll to firm soil before planting beans and corn. That happens after dragging them in after discing. BTW .depth of discing and tilling varies to seed. Clover , brassicas the rolling happens before planting. Planting also takes place before a heavy storm. If no rain in the forecast then another roll over is done. Fertilizing also depends on the fertilizer being put down. You don't want urea next to seed after plants are up a bit. Nitrogen also tends to evaporate rapidly so cool cloudy days and just before rain when top dressing.

4. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It depends on what I'm planting.

Brassicas - In the spring I spread fertilizer then till it into the ground. Next, I broadcast Oats then drive over it with my tractor (packing the seed bed). Third week of July, I bush hog the Oats, spread more fertilizer then till all of it into the ground. Broadcast Brassicas and pack with the tractor. I've never sprayed a brassica or clover plot. Tilling seems to do the job on the weeds.

Soybeans and corn - In the spring I bush hog the remains of last years crop, spread fertilizer then either disk or till (sometimes both if the last crop was corn), to be honest, I don't plant corn any more. More bang for my buck with beans. After fertilizing and working it into the ground, I use a two row, no till planter and plant the beans. About 3-4 weeks after planting I spray the crop for weeds. Done.

oldnotdead likes this.