Soil building

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by slickbilly-d, Aug 20, 2020.

1. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My parents own 16 acres of a two hills and a holler, and the motocross track that spans it is not being used any more. The long goal is to log it hard and make the top of the ridge a decent sized late season food plot. This soil has been dozed and ridden on so much over the years it isn’t even good to ride on any more. So I’m trying to start at least getting some organic matter back in the soil (clay). What would you plant to start building soil? Don’t worry about a soil sample, ph is 5 I’m guessing. And it’s not getting lime this year. There’s not a good way to get like back there besides a bucket load at a time. Mainly trying to hold dirt on the hills and if it’s a green food source come December, then that a plus.

Winter Wheat, Cereal Rye?

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Winter rye will give you more organic matter. Spring mow it and then either let it grow to seed or spray and seed in a red clover. Let that grow thick then mow in late summer. You can spray it and over seed in rye and radish then in fall, repeat. In other words after an initial turning and bed prep avoid turning it again let the organic material build up. Lime and fertilize as needed. Plots do not need to be perfect. Just make sure you have a water source near and browse brush all around the edges. Plan soft / hard mast now. just be aware or mature crown size and height so you dont shade out the plot.