Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

So....would you buy a Toyota?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by GMMAT, Mar 11, 2010.

1. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What I find preposterous......is the majority owners (read - US Gov't) of 2/3 of the US "big three" riding oversight on Toyota. Seems like a HUGE conflict of interest, doesn't it?

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What is the scope of their "oversight" Jeff? If they have ANY oversight capabilities over any other company then I cry foul on the entire process.

3. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sure they have oversight (implied AND real).

"Implied" in the context of consumer confidence (do you think the congressional hearings were good for Toyota? Do you think they were good for US automakers?).

Real, in the fact that the consumer product safety commission; NTSB and other US gov't agencies DO have authoritative command/regulatory recourse over ALL automakers. Do you see a conflict of interest, here?

Imagine if Hoyt could call Bowtech to testify over design/performance "issues". BT would tell them to go to hell, and rightfully so. Imagine if Hoyt could fine/regulate BT. Is that fair? Do you see a conflict of interest?

4. Gr8atta2d

Gr8atta2d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jim, Bro..ya know I love ya..and I agree to a point without the burden of the previous generations on my shoulders.

You work for an American company..but I believe most of the programs you write or machines your routing probably have a Japanese or German manufacturer ??

So one hand feeds the other, Correct?

5. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is completely false, LOL Being I have worked for GM I know what is broken, and they sit behind a desk;) Keep drinking your Limbaugh Kool aid:)

6. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gary....I don't know what to tell you, man. I listen to Rush Limbaugh. I also listen to Howard Stern. I do both for the same reason - entertainment.

But.....if you don't equate the unions with the US automakers inability to compete with Honda/Nissan/Toyota.......like I said....I really don't know what to tell ya.

7. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I guess you have to work inside to know, but GM's demise was done by the leaders of GM.

Up until they went broke they had 7 jets, LOL In 2003 they ended a great eletric car program and bought Hummer, How did that work out for them? In 2004 they shifted the majority of Pontiac models production to Austraila because it was cheaper. In 2008 they canceled the Pontica line because it was too expensive to build in Aus.

Every manager at GM past a certain level gets a car, gas and insurance paid for them.

GM's demise was one bad business decsion one after they other. As for retired workers, well there is a retirment fund that pretty much covers the cost.

Since 1980's the unions have pretty much concede on every new contract. In 1999 it was not UAW that promise everyone a Job for life at GM, it was GM execs.

I have never been part of a union, but why some blame a group people working together is beyond me. Put your faith in big business, wait how did that work out for us?

I

8. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess you have to work inside to know, but GM's demise was done by the leaders of GM.

Or...you could just read the newspaper.

Every manager at GM past a certain level gets a car, gas and insurance paid for them.

So does every person at a certain level in my co.. We still manage to produce goods at a competitive price....and turn a healthy profit.

GM's demise was one bad business decsion one after they other. As for retired workers, well there is a retirment fund that pretty much covers the cost.

How does the retirement fund "cover the costs"? In 2007, the first $1,700 of any car sold went to healthcare costs. That figure is ONLY related to healthcare costs. Add in retirment funds/pensions/bonuses/etc..., etc..., etc... and it becomes clear why they can't compete. These figures/costs are ALL driven by the unions.

Since 1980's the unions have pretty much concede on every new contract. In 1999 it was not UAW that promise everyone a Job for life at GM, it was GM execs.

And if they didn't concede.....what then? Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'.

I have never been part of a union, but why some blame a group people working together is beyond me. Put your faith in big business, wait how did that work out for us?

Beautifully? Natural selection has been around a long time.

9. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah they know, LOL

Really, lol So the guy who ran Lehman Brothers into the ground is hurting? The executive at GM who ran the company in the ground are hurting also. Wait one walked away with 20 million for failing. This is the model you claim works? Those at the top are not paying for their bad decsions, it's the workforce who is paying the price.

What does Toyota pay per car for Healthcare? Do you know?

10. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Really, lol So the guy who ran Lehman Brothers into the ground is hurting?

Is his company still viable? What does this have to do with unions and competitive auto pricing?

The executive at GM who ran the company in the ground are hurting also. Wait one walked away with 20 million for failing. This is the model you claim works?

No. I never claimed the US auto industry was working. You have me mixed up with someone else.

Those at the top are not paying for their bad decsions, it's the workforce who is paying the price.

Tell me, Gary.....WHO voted in the unions? The execs? Do you think they wanted them? Henry Ford went to his grave despising unions.

What does Toyota pay per car for Healthcare? Do you know?

An amount that allows them to remain highly competitive; produce (citing last year's figures) the No. 1 selling car in the US and not enough to require gov't intervention.

In other words.....it's working, for them.

11. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Execs are the honest bunch, LOL
    Henry Ford hated unions, of course he did, LOL More money for him;)
    He had to make his plants safer and pay overtime.

So Rick Wagner walked away with 20 million after running GM into the ground. How did natural selection workout there?

BTW my grandfather sits today on O2 and cannot do much anymore. He has asbestes scaring on his lungs, do you think Henry Ford cared when he worked in his plants?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  12. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  13. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gary...Did YOU read it?

Hey..I don't wanna argue with you about this. You're too emotionally involved (family members).

I'll ask you 2 simple questions:

1. Could the US automakers produce a more competitively priced product.....if the unions weren't involved?
    2. What are the unions doing to make the PRODUCTS more competitive in the US auto marketplace?

14. madhunter

madhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I completely agree.

15. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

1. Could the US automakers produce a more competitively priced product.....if the unions weren't involved?
    2. What are the unions doing to make the PRODUCTS more competitive in the US auto marketplace?

I could ask the same questions on the Salary side Jeff. The only difference is number two. GM makes the products and sets the vision. They made piss poor products and had no vision.

What did the excutives do? They did buy Hummer;)

Jeff I have a bit more info then you on this one, LOL I have 2 family members who are pretty close to the top of the food chain at GM, my wifes Uncle pretty close at Ford also.

I don't disagree UAW played a role in the demise of GM, but their part was very small compared to bone heads who ran the place,

16. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Then share it...

,,,,LOL

17. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well when I bought my chevy i was told it was made in Canada. Guess they are our neighbors though :D

18. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Did you read the other reasons? Did you know up until the late 90's GM plants still had seperate lunch rooms for Salary and Hourly workers?

19. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The plant where they are made is extremely nice plant.

20. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gary. What does this (I have no idea...but if you say it's true...I believe you) have to do with the unions keeping the US auto industry from being competitive?

I might be missing the boat, here.