Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

So....would you buy a Toyota?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by GMMAT, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Bawanajim

Bawanajim Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My grand father had a different view than you. I think his perspective was formed by personal experience, and less by public opinion.

So how long will it be that buying from the "terrorist auto group" will be acceptable, as long as you can save a buck. Just like Japan we can build them plants put them to work and buy their products, and then they too will be our friends.

2. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Comparing buying a Toyota that manufactures a significant amount in the United states to buying from a "terrorist auto group" is not a strong argument my friend. Sorry.

Your grandfathers point may have held some weight in 1970 yet. It's time to move on in regards to animosity to their current people.

That doesn't mean we should forget the sacrifices that were made.

I don't think it can be overstated that this is a GLOBAL ECONOMY!!

3. Bawanajim

Dislikes Received:
    So in another 30 years "twin tower motors" is a viable option for your kids, as long as they save a buck?

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Are you serious? I mean no disrespect.... but really? :confused:

5. Bawanajim

Dislikes Received:
    But of course you do, the Japanese did nothing different than from what Bin Laden did, you just weren't around and neither was CNN.
    Time heals all wounds right.

6. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Actually yes, it does. If the situation is appropriate.

This is such a stretch of an argument it is laughable IMO. Pearl Harbor was a military move. 9/11 was a political terrorist move. But I can't even believe that we are arguing that 65 years later we should not buy their cars or products when these are not even the same people(culture).

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  7. Bawanajim

Dislikes Received:
    Thats why its your "YHO" and not mine. Maybe when I start getting paid in yens I'll start driving ...............................Till then not much of a chance.

8. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I just wish you could come up with better arguments to defend your opinion. I think I've provided multiple solid points on mine.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  9. Bawanajim

Dislikes Received:
    Since your editing your post I will quote you this time.

As far as the differences, I think you will more similarities than differences.The Japanese assault resulted in only 2400 dead but 1200 wounded. where as Bin Ladens boys were far more efficient, they killed 3000 with few survivors. The only real difference is one group had a country to base its attack from and the other doesn;t........yet.

Yea I guess we'll all look back on this and say hell it was all just a big misunderstanding.

2,402 personnel were killed[9] and 1,282 were wounded. The power station, shipyard, maintenance, and fuel and torpedo storage facilities, as well as the submarine piers and headquarters building (also home of the intelligence section) were not attacked. Japanese losses were light, with 29 aircraft and five midget submarines lost, and 65 servicemen killed or wounded. One Japanese sailor was captured.

2,973 victims and the 19 hijackers died as a result of the attacks.[3] The overwhelming majority of casualties were civilians, including nationals of over 70 countries.[4] In addition, the death of at least one person from lung disease was ruled by a medical examiner to be a result of exposure to dust from the World Trade Center's collapse.[5]

10. 2 Lunger

2 Lunger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What you all have forgot, or fail to realize, the U.A.W. petioned for the Japanese auto makers to start building assembly plants in the U.S. Fact!!! Like I said before, I left Toyota after 5 years to go to work for Ford. I see all these bumper stickers on these peoples cars in the lot that say "Out of a job yet? Keep buying foreign." I want to make one that says " Thank your union that you pay your dues to." These people (just like many in this thread) blindly follow the U.A.W.

11. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Are you even reading what I writing? These are all terrible tragedies but far from a reason why we should, or should not buy a particular brand 65 years later from an Alia that is manufacturing these products with American workers on our soil. We don't need the full history lesson on the statistics on what happened. We all are aware.

Is there no time limit as to when we should do business with another county that we previously went to war with? 100 years? 200 years? 1000 years? and still holding the grudge? We killed a lot of their people too FYI.

We are so far off topic anyway and we obviously differ greatly on this subject. Let's agree to disagree and move on. Maybe someone else would like to interject.

12. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I work for a German company & my girlfriend works for a Japanese one...don't hate me. It would break my heart.

13. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Exhibit "A" of the global economy we live in (right or wrong).

14. Bawanajim

Dislikes Received:
    Hates such an ugly word, I work for an American company, I know not many of those left, yet we try.
    The question was would I buy one and I said hell no, but on the other hand I know men that have married the same women twice, brilliant right, so as far as this country goes I expect nothing less.

15. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Heck, Germany drug us into WWII and it cost America around 400,000 deaths. Should we not trade or buy from them, nearly 70 years later?

16. Bawanajim

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not familiar with any German attack on America. Yet I still don't drive Volkswagens either.

17. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    You don't remember WWII?

18. madhunter

madhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wasn't that Japan, with their attack on Pearl Harbor?

19. madhunter

madhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One of the first cars to get such a high tariff was the Honda CVCC that came over in 73 or 74. The few dealers that carried them could not keep them on the lot. After the government added the tariff they were harder to get a hold of, simple supply and demand caused the price to skyrocket and if not for the government help, they might not be as strong in the auto industry as they are today.

Even without that, it is cheaper to produce the cars near their intended market. Add to that the cars sold in America are different than those sold in Europe, due to regulations and safety issues and the wants and needs of the target market. The evolution to doing business globally was inevitable.

So, there are those that wont buy "imports", but do you think that the "Big Three" should be dealt from that same deck? They all sell large amounts of cars to markets outside of the US. They too are considered "imports" someplace else!

What I can't figure out is why so many hold their American made cars in such high regard after all the failings, bailouts, and government assistance that they have received, then complain about welfare? It is the same thing.

20. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Just because they didn't attack us on our homeland doesn't mean they did not indirectly drag us into WWI and WWII, and then directly kill many soldiers of ours over the course of two wars. We lost over 500,000 good men and women over the course of two wars because of the Germans.