Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

So....would you buy a Toyota?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by GMMAT, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't buy one... kinda.

When I'm in the market, which will be extremely soon I hope. Toyota's just don't fit into my budget for what I want in a truck.... I can run a chevy/gmc 300,000 miles a WHOLE lot cheaper than I can a Toyota. No other reason than that.

If I found one in the price range comparable to another truck? Sure I'd buy one. I think they are very nice, and the power of the new Tundra's is awesome.

2. Big John

Big John Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  3. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I too wish this were the case and it were just this easy. Unfortunately, if you tried to buy only American MADE products owned by AMERICAN companies, you'd have a hard time finding what you need without a dramatic chnage in your lifestyle. Sure most of the products I buy for hunting are American companies, but dig a little deeper and many oif those products are MADE overseas or north or south of the border. Unfortunate but the truth.

4. SevenMag

SevenMag Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    yes they are still being made, why would they stop producing it?? to many people use 'em at the track and stuff:D

5. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I drove a tundra as a company truck for 5+ yrs. When I turned it in, it had over 140Kmi. on it. It was a tight the day I turned it in as it was the day I drove it with 35mi. on it. It was a 2003 model.

When I started looking for a used pickup.......I only looked at the tundras.

My old position saw me purchasing several trucks/yr. I had to look at several things: 1) Initial costs 2) service costs (historical - reliability) 3) resale value. It made sense that we bought more Toyotas than others (unless employees specifically requested another brand.....and then we considered others).

I also bought a personal US made truck (2003 GMC Yukon) in 2003. It now has 120K miles on it....and it hasn't held up like the Toyota(s) (I now own a 2003 4X4 TRD Tundra) have. It's just not as tight as the toyota with almost as many miles. And, though we've babied it.......it's showing it's years and miles (interior - minor wear)....and in general how it's appointed. My tundra is simply a better built vehicle. You can't convince me otherwise. I've driven both vehicles for too long......serviced them for too long.....re-sold them too many times.

I've realized through the years.....that you "generally" get what you pay for. If a vehicle costs you a little (or a lot) more......it's usually for good reason, and it usually shows back up in re-sale.

My son's Tacoma (4X4 TRD) has nearly 170K miles on it. It's a MUCH tighter and finer appointed vehicle than the Yukon we own. I'm hoping to unload the Yukon, this fall. I'm expecting very little in resale. I figure there's a good reason for that.

I love America. I'd love to do what's "right" in purchasing products produced here. But.......I also want the best value for my hard-earned $$. I don't suspect the next car I buy will have been made in Detroit.

6. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never have and never will! Aren't any of you Toyota owners a little nervous on what's going on with these recalls?

7. fatsbucknut

fatsbucknut Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I own a 2008 Tacoma and drive Ford, chevy, gmc and dodge vehicles at work. I'd take my truck over any other with the F150 in second. Without a doubt i'd buy another one

8. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Steve:

If I worried about every recall.....on every vehicle I've ever owned......I'd have to resort to riding a bike to work.

9. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seems to me this recall Is pretty serious though (acceleration on It's own). No thank you!!

10. Reese

Reese Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    :p;) is that why the new mountain bike dear sir lol....I am kidding of course

Would I purchase one....I would love to. Can I purchase one without putting my job security in danger, NOPE.

As far as the recalls, ummm If you were worried about that, wouldnt a big red flag be waived when the phrase "Autobailout" was spoken :rolleyes:

Just my 2 cents
    Cheers
    Reese

11. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lease on my Honda Ridgeliner is up this month and I'll be looking at a tundra. No issues with buying or leasing one.

12. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Scott - I respect the heck out of you so I hope you don't get bent out of shape over what I'm about to say. I also understand you live in a community that is heavily dependent on labor for the auto manufacturers, I'm sure you see and feel this stuff first hand more than most of us.

With that said, in ANY industry.......you need to be competitive or you lose. US auto makers need to step it up and produce vehicles that people want to buy, at a competitive price point, with a competitive warranty.........and they need to be profitable doing it. They aren't going to win any battle based on "Buy American", they will win by making a vehicle that the majority sees as competitive. I'm also confident that if they make the hard decisions they can do this. Look at companies like Hyundai/Kia that a couple years ago were complete junk, now they are gaining significant market share. I'm confident that the US manufacturers could do the same thing if they get their you know what in order.

I work too hard for my $$$, and overall cost (maintenance, purchase price, and resale value) is usually cheaper for me to purchase foreign. It's simple as that. I do find comfort in the fact that US employees built the vehicle, and made a fair wage doing it. The foreign manufacturers are gaining market share, and their US based employees are still making waaaaay above average per capita incomes. These are people with careers that didn't have to spend $50k+ on college loands, etc. I DO NOT feel that a factory worker or employee should be making the same or more money than a teacher with 20+ years experience that spent $60k+ on college tuition, and 6 years of higher ed under their belt. Sorry. The average US employee working for a "foreign" manufacturer is still making mid to high $50k range............while you aren't going to get rich there, that's not exactly poverty zone. If the US companies kicked the unions out, there would be long lines waiting for the jobs, and if they could hire them at a "fair" wage similar to the foreign companies with US operations, things would pan themselves out quickly.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  13. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I own a Toyota Tacoma currently. Out of the 4 vehicles I have owned in my life, 3 have been Toyota trucks.

And I just bought my fiancee a VW Passat.

I guess I'm just unAmerican.

14. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I just reached into my clothes dresser and pulled out the work shirt my county government provides me at a rate of one every 3 months or so. It was made in Bangladesh. Um.

15. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not Buckeye.. but that is the exact thinking that got us here in the first place.

The world thinks too highly of those who have a degree. And for what... it doesn't mean you're smarter than another who does not have a degree.

Education is a business... it's not about schooling.. it's about someone making money off you.

A dude at a plant has a trade.. and likely works his body to the core.. he's entitled to his money to do that work.

Without him.. you have no car.

No ones better than the other.. but I hate the idea some people have that because they went to schooling they are entitled to greater wages.

We're building an entire country on nothing... cause nothing here is being built anymore. Eventually... those who build everything have the power. It won't be this country no more... history repeats itself.

I'm reminded of the scene in "The Breakfast Club"... when Bender and Brian get into it about shop class.

Brian says... "Bender did you know without Trig ther'd be no engineering?

Bender replies... "Without lamps there'd be no light.

I agree that education is important... I do not agree those who have a degree are any more worthy.

16. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll agree with that. I know plenty of people with degrees that have the common sense and business sense of an ice cube.

17. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A degree proves that one has the ability to be taught, nothing more. If i've proven through my education that I can learn and master certain skills, should that not be worth anything?

18. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hatin' on education???

Dang.

"We're all equal. Let's give trophies to everyone!"

19. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know a librarian who makes $80,000 plus a year. She had to get a degree to do it.

In library sciences... are you kidding?

Everything I needed to know about being a librarian I learned by the 5th grade.

So much of it has become a joke. Just a business anymore. Unfortunate.

20. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Let me guess, Duke.......