so i want to get into traditional archery

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by the mechanic, Nov 7, 2010.

1. the mechanic

the mechanic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    and i want to know what some affordable accesories i can get are. and more importantly, whats needed. im new to archery in general, and i bought a bear archery grizzly 55# from gander mountain less than a year ago and have yet to even shoot it. i dont have arrows, i dont have broadheads, but i do have a shooting tab(yay).

what brand of arrows would you suggest, and also, what do the numbers on them mean?

what kind of broadheads and weights would you suggest?

so on and so forth...

thanks in advance.

2. bigcountry

bigcountry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would start with 2018's eastons for a 55lbs grizzly. Little heavy for a beginner. I would try to find a cheap 40lb bow to start. I myself wouldn't worry about bh's for another year. Thats just me. All two blades like magnus works well.

3. the mechanic

Dislikes Received:
    the reason i went with the 55# was my compound is 60#. and i can shoot that reasonably well, so i figured 55# would be close enough, especially with no let off. i havent been shooting all that long, maybe a total of 8-10 months out of the last 2 years... my wife agreed to give me some help shooting it, as shes a pretty good bowhunter herself. and it only took me 2 years of being with her(one year married) to figure that out. and what does 2018 mean?

thanks for the reply.

4. Deinhardt

Deinhardt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First off, You need to find out your draw length. Once you find that out, Here is a link to find out what arrow you need about.

http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/selection

thats the easton arrow guide, where you type in all your information and it will tell you which arrows you should use. Traditional archers usually use aluminum or wood arrows. 55lb is fine for your poundage, you will be able to kill all North American game with that poundage recurve. I would get a glove, but a tab will work for right now, just whatever your preference is.

5. the mechanic

Dislikes Received:
    well, thats the thing. im lucky enough to not have a preferance. the only time its been strung was when i took it home to find out how the stringer worked. then i unstrung it, and now its up in my father in laws house next to his old recurve. so i have plenty of time to figure out what my preferance is, and thats why im asking you guys the questions. you seem to know just a little more than i do...

6. Deinhardt

Dislikes Received:
    Heres a little excerpt to find out your draw length:

Choose Your Draw Length

Next, you will need to determine a proper and suitable draw length.

Draw Length is simply the distance from where your arrow is knocked on the string at full draw, to the front of the bow. The correct draw length for you can be determined by a simple formula.

Measure (or have a friend measure) your arm span from the fingertips of one hand to the fingertips of the other hand. Just stand naturally with your arms out to your sides. Don't stretch your arms out as far as you can, or you may end up with a incorrect draw length.

If you are unable to perform the measurement, you can simply use your height instead. It won't be as accurate, but most people have an arm span approximately equal to their height.

Once you have this measurement, simply divide it by 2.5 to determine your draw length. The end result will be in the same unit of measurement you used to measure the arm span.

Just to give you some frame of reference, a typical 6' man will have a draw length between 28 and 29 inches.

You need to get your bow, and string it, and start shooting it. You can start by buying some $5 dollar arrows from walmart, gander mountain, academy sports, or ****s. A target will be like $30 dollars, and from there you can start shooting, and getting better and better. I would go out into the woods, just to get a feel for what its like. Do a little scouting and what not.

7. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dynamically (ultimately), your DL won't matter. You need to know "about" what it is, only to get started in determining arrow selection.

Good luck.

8. the mechanic

Dislikes Received:
    that formula worked almost perfectly. i used the height formula. came out to 27.2, the DL on my compund is 27. and i kind of figured DL wouldnt be as important with a recurve as it is with compound. what with the letoff and all.

also, im new to bow hunting, not hunting in general. ive been gun and muzzle loader hunting before, but i do understand it is a completley different style. trying to get the deer as close as possible without being "caught". and thats what draws me to it, the challenge. i like rifle hunting and muzzle loader hunting, but bow is just that much more challenging and i like the idea of it.

9. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So....how has your newfound information helped you in your journey?

Bigcountry gave you solid advice. The 2018's will most likely work. I shot 2016's out of a 50# longbow. But, my DL is longer than yours.

"Typically", your DL will be (at least for a while) +/- 1" shorter than your compound DL. It's really a moot issue, though (only important to aid you in choosing arrows, initially). It'll be what it'll be.

10. the mechanic

Dislikes Received:
    its helping drain my bank account... haha. but seriously, im really appreciating all the help. you guys are great.

11. the mechanic

Dislikes Received:
    i went out today and picked up some easton 2016 legacy arrows(the ones with the wood grain finish), had them cut to length and inserts installed. some yarn string silencers and some magnus 2 blade broadheads. i think im off to a good start so far. anyone have any convictions about a bow mounted quiver? is that a traditional no no? i ask because im not really into the hip quivers, and im not overly concerned with the actual traditional aspect of it. im into it for the additional challenge of a recurve. any other ideas? or things i should look at? also, i already have feild points from my compound im going to use. i bought the broadheads because they were there, decent price and it was a six pack(to match how many arrows i bought).

12. Deinhardt

Dislikes Received:
    I use a quiver on my recurve, and it works out great. I would recommend it.

13. the mechanic

Dislikes Received:
    oh yeah? did yours come with the inserts for it or did you get one of those strap deals? mine has the inserts for a quiver, and id like to get a good one first instead of trying 3 or 4 and wasting a bunch of cash.

14. the mechanic

Dislikes Received:
    so while im on the subject of asking questions, might as well throw in more while im at it. my father in law tells me he can confidently take a whitetail out to about 40Yds with his compound. hes a pretty good bow shot. now i know i wont get those kind of ranges out of a recurve, what are some good ranges to stick to? 25? 20? less? i can wait for a deer to come in close, but id like to know what the practical max range might be. if that makes any sense.

15. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are people who can take game confidently, with trad tackle....beyond the 40yds you mention. There is no set std.. Your maximum effective range will be what it will be. And, it'll change from time to time (and not always getting longer).

You'll know at what range you're effective. Good luck.

16. the mechanic

Dislikes Received:
    i think im really starting to over think this and making it more complicated than it needs to be. i did the same thing when i got into muzzle loading. i bought just about everything i saw, scopes, slings, and just about any reload accessory you could think of, and in the end i wound up using WGRS iron sights and a cheap web sling with one quick load in my pocket. what i really need to do is just get out and shoot the darn thing.

17. the mechanic

Dislikes Received:
    oh, by the way. i had the guy at the bow shop measure me for draw length. seems the DL on my compund was too long. he measured my DL at 26" even. so i had the eastons cut to 27", just to have a little play if i decide to draw a little too far. and i dont think 1" long will make a big difference.

18. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here's another learning exp.....

Length of arrow on a traditional setup means nothing. It'll be what it'll be. I hope the 27"ers work out. But, you should never cut your arrows, prior to tuning.

19. the mechanic

Dislikes Received:
    day late and a dollar short. oh well, i wont be hunting till next year anyway. learned my lesson on that indeed. i can shoot it this way till i get comfortable with it(at the very least) then i can buy new uncut arrows and practice with those. and if you dont mind, why is it almost crucial with a compound, and not so much with traditional to either cut or not cut your arrows?

20. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure what you're asking me. Sorry.

You have more options with the compound (tuning). And, the compounds "seem" to handle a wider variety of spine. You're gonna need to be dead-nuts with your trad. setup.