So.....I Killed a Button Buck

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats to you on a great season!! No worries about the button buck! It happens! That is a hunt the three of you will remember for a long time don't feel bad about it! Tell Todd to lighten up a little he seems to be a little rough this season!

2. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on breaking in the Halon and as far as the Button buck dont worry it happens to everybody.

3. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I watched the episode after I first read this thread. I had to laugh when they recovered the deer and at first Justin referred to it as a doe. I have to think at first he at least thought about trying to hide the evidence from Todd LOL.

4. ruteger

ruteger Guest

:) I don't think Justin quite realizes how lucky he is to have Todd around to keep him honest. :lol:

5. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did learn that some folks refer to button bucks as "nubbers". That's a new one for me. :-)

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You're screwed. The last deer I shot was a button buck (thinking it was a doe) and I haven't killed a deer in 3 years. So yeah, I hope you didn't just curse yourself for another deer-less streak like I did. Congrats on a nice shot though! :)

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What? are you suggesting that the camera would influence what people say or how they act when it comes to perception? Or it was an honest mistake.:evilgrin:

8. ruteger

ruteger Guest

They had been trying to shoot a deer on camera in front of Tommy's son for quite a while so I think Justin's intent was not to pollute the excitement by showing his disappointment in the fact he shot a button buck. Justin's a good guy, so I know he was doing it with the best intentions. It's probably better he tried to hide it because it made Todd calling him on it between segments in the episode all the more entertaining.

You should really give the show a try, Sota. I think you'd enjoy it. It's one of those things that grow on you as you get to know the people on the show and the brotherly interaction/bickering/rivalry between Justin and Todd.

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    :lol: The "her" in the recovery interview was a slip of the tongue on my part. My brain was still hopeful the nubs were going to disappear. We certainly never had any intentions of hiding the fact it was a button buck. That would have only made matters worse with all of those perfect hunters on the Internet. If I really cared about hiding anything I would've never aired the hunt or made this post.

Truth be told I was trying to hide a bit of my disappointment so Jack didn't get a bad taste in his mouth. IMO the way we act and the comments we make when someone shoots a small deer are part of what deters new hunters from passing animals they should be shooting. I see it a lot with people I personally know. Despite people telling them it's okay to shoot whatever makes them happy they pass shots on young deer or small deer because because they see the comments people have to endure when they do shoot those animals.

10. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Trophy button bucks are the new trophy does. In next week's episode, the BHOD staff goes after the elusive fawn.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's all good and I was just making sport, I know for a fact that I could not do it even if I tried my best it would be unwatchable. I would be the coach Pop of the hunting shows.

12. ruteger

ruteger Guest

Coach Pop does some very entertaining interviews so you might just have a career in video hunting yet. I see a camera arm with a very expensive camera hanging from a tree in you near future :lol:

13. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Button bucks taste great anyway. I can taste right now. Time to go the freezer.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

14. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Good Stuff!

15. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just watched it and clearly you can see the nubs haha I think the camera guy should have noticed it but when everyone is excited esp wanting to let the new bow eat and having the youngster with yall its all understandable. Heck we had button bucks all around us the other day one even bigger than most does we seen and I was telling my wife shoot because she never shot a deer yet with her bow. Its all hunting and we love it no matter the deer size!!

16. bigredneck61088

bigredneck61088 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last time I checked getting kids hooked on the outdoors was more important than booners.... It happens, and everyone can agree with me! I would shoot a dink for one season if it meant another kid would be hooked for life BHOD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed, I think everyone is joking with him - at least I am. If you haven't seen past BHOD episodes and the funny jabs back and forth between Justin and Todd about trophy does, letting bucks grow, passing bucks, etc., then this thread could look awfully mean spirited.

18. fingerz42

fingerz42 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not everyone has superman like vision due to the go-go gadget goggles that Todd wears while hunting. So a button buck was shot. It's not the end of the world. Todd's elitist mentality makes it hard for me to listen to a word his mouth utters.

19. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    a buddy of mine shot a button on a drive one time and he was about to cry....I had to smack him to knock some sense into him....there are greater tragedies in life.

20. ruteger

ruteger Guest

Todd gets a lot of crap for being Todd, but BHOD wouldn't exist without him. I bet most of the people who know Todd in real life (I don't) would say that Todd is one of the most focused and determined people they know, and that's not just when it comes to hunting, it's everything else he does in his life too, I'm sure.