Smoking Hunting Cloths

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by AdamC, Nov 4, 2015.

1. AdamC

AdamC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im just wondering how many people smoke their cloths for cover scent. If you use to and quit why did you quit smoking them. I'm just wondering has anyone seen a big difference in getting winded by deer with smoked cloths. If you do smoke them how do you do it stand in campfire smoke or use a bee smoker? I'm always smelling smoke from my stands wether it's a campfire or someone burning corn stalks smoke always seems to be in the air in the fall.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used to smoke my camo and equipment, but I did it usually hunting late season. I added a heater to my scent free tent so prepping to hunt in the cold was no longer an issue. I prefer to pretreat with ozone vs smoke these days.

3. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I seem to be having good luck smoking my gear so far, certainly haven't seen any negative effects other than I personally am not a huge fan of smelling the smoke scent, seems its worse when I first dress, after an hour or so I don't notice it as much

4. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I"m at a lose of words. Please excuse my ignorance on the subject, but what are we talking about here? If we are talking about hanging our cloth over a campfire to get them to smell of smoke? I have personally witnessed deer fleeing an area because of a camp fire burning upwind, so naturally I'm confused as to whats going on here in this thread. please learn me?

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Smoke as a cover scent does work. Deer are not afraid of the odor of woodsmoke it is natural in their environment.

6. ruttin2

ruttin2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a smoker system and it os better than scent killer im at a lose of words that u think every time a deer smells a fore going they run so ur telling me every time the wind shifts in the winter deer take off running bc they can smell the smoke of someones wood burner going??... hmmm deer must always be running

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

7. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Always heard the old timers did this. I guess it just happens during shotgun season anyway cause we all come back in from hunting and sit around the fire.

8. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use the smoker that I have for my beehives and it works great.

9. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had smoked string cheese on stand yesterday, I didn't notice a difference in deer sightings! :confused:

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love smoked string cheese.:)

11. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't purposefully smoke my clothes but they do hang outside all season long. If the wind from the outside boiler blows that way then they may smell like smoke. I leave them outside all season so they smell like whatever is outside............... It seems to work so far.

12. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using a type of bee smoker, actually called the Scent Smoker, with hickory chips (mostly) for smoking up my clothing, equipment and self. I will pre-smoke all of my gear in a small shed by hanging them on hangers or propping things up, like boots and backpacks, on milk crates and then fill the bee smoker with about 2-3 hand fulls of hickory chips and let it smoke. The day of the hunt I will try to add fresh smoke to my body paying special attention to hair and hands. I've had way way more positive experiences using smoke than negative. I believe any negatives would have resulted due to them smelling something and spending time searching for the source. Perhaps they spotted a lump up on the side of a tree or caught movement. Only one time last year did I have a buck catch my wind and act negatively but he just turned and walked in the opposite direction, not blowing or anything like that. I honestly think on this particular hunt I had smoked my gear too much in the pre-smoke and have since cut back on it. There are too many people I know doing this and doing it with success for it to be discounted. It may not be for everyone and that is fine but I will continue to do it because it's cheap and I've seen it work for me with my own eyes with a doe and yearling less than 10 yards directly downwind of me while I was on the ground.

Here are a couple links for some previous discussions on the subject.

http://forums.bowhunting.com/showthread.php/63881-Scent-Smoker

http://forums.bowhunting.com/showthread.php/66307-Who-has-tried-it-and-given-up

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015